Do you spend a lot of time creating content but still don’t get the traffic you want?
I know how it feels like. It feels really bad.
The thing is, if you want to get more traffic, you need more social shares. And if you want more social shares, you need to promote your blog posts the RIGHT way.
But what is the right way to promote your blog posts? That’s what we’re going to tackle here.
So if you are someone who wants to up your content marketing strategy to get more exposure, this detailed guide is for you. In this guide, you’ll find some of the smartest promotion strategies to get more exposure for your blog posts. Are you ready? Let’s dive in.
10 ways to promote your blog posts to get more traffic and shares
#1. Write click-worthy headlines
8 out of 10 people read headlines before clicking on a link or tweet.
Does your blog post get clicked and read by users? Do you know how important the role played by your blog title is? In the world of content marketing, it is your post headline that acts like a gate pass to your blog.
If you fail in writing click-worthy headlines, what’s the use of writing lengthy content anyway? That’s why you need to be very careful when crafting a headline for your blog post. The effort you put to write interesting and lengthy content should equal the effort you need to put in writing your headline too.
Here are the few tips and techniques that can help you to frame click-worthy headlines.
- It should tell what readers will get. Before you even select an interesting topic, make sure that you can provide a compelling reason for readers to read the post through headline. Check whether the selected topic for post can instil enthusiasm in readers to read or not.
- It should tell for whom the post is. Knowing your readers is very important before choosing your blog niche. Just like that, before choosing a topic to write, make sure that, topic you selected targets a set of audience. It also helps you when you start doing content marketing.
- Add negative words. A study by outbrain says, negative words like “never”, “worst” perform 30% better than positive words like “best”, “always”. For example, instead of saying, “7 best tips you should follow before starting a business” you can say “7 mistakes you should avoid before starting a business”.
- Break the rules. It’s not rocket science. You don’t need to follow grammar and rules while writing headline. Just break it. Keep it casual. After all, customer attraction is what important.
- Keep SEO in mind. While making headline interesting, look at SEO too. SEO, content, title everything has its own role in increasing blog’s traffic and social shares. So, use primary keyword or LSI keyword in title.
- Use numbers in headline. The titles that has numbers perform better. For example, “8 marketing strategies that will blow up your sales in no time” can work like a charm than something like “How to increase your online sales”.
#2. Write your blog posts so engaging that your audience wants to share
Content is king. You may have heard this term a million times and it really is. Any successful blog became successful because of its content. The more value you provide with your content the quicker you build loyal audience.
The blog post you write should give a feeling to readers to engage with you in the comments. To grow your audience, be helpful to them. Help them with great and useful content that solves their problem. This is one of the ways you can build up trust with your readers.
When you connect with your potential readers, you will start seeing CONSISTENT traffic to your blog.
Let me unveil the secrets of how you can write blog posts so engaging that compels your readers to share.
- Write as if you are conversing with your friend. Come on, you can’t connect with a robot. Sound like a human when you write a post. Write as if you are talking with your friend. Don’t show corporate style in your writing.
- Feel free to use friendly approach words. Use words like “you”, “I”. you can start sentences with words like “But”, “And”, “because”. Give pause in the post just like you give pause while speaking to your friend on any topic.
- Ask questions. It’s very common that while we converse with friends, we ask questions that sounds funny as well as serious. Usually when in schools and universities, professors ask students several questions to make them engage in class. It is just like that while writing too and the response you see in comments as well as through social shares.
- Conclude with an inspirational or engaging paragraph. Give a reason to your readers to share and engage. This you can do by writing a motivational statement or asking question at the end of the blog post. The paragraph or the 3 lines you write should wake up your readers to take action. Make sure that you also inspire your readers to implement the tips.
We like to connect with those who listen to us and solve problems. We remember them whole the life. Same way, do that with your content too on the blog post.
#3. Use “click to tweet” while creating content
Twitter has become a blogger’s weapon and you can’t ignore it anymore.
Well, who doesn’t want to grow loyal readership and drive consistent visitors to blog? When you write highly useful and interesting content, you also should give easiness to your readers to share it in social media.
Twitter is one source which can generate more website visitors. How best you can use it to promote your blog posts to skyrocket your traffic and social shares is what matters. Of Course, there are many social media buttons or plugins that you can install and use in your blog to helps readers to share if they liked it. So, when there are that many plugins, you may ask me what so special about using this “click to tweet”
“Click to tweet ”allows you to focus on particular areas in your content.
Once you finish writing blog post, when you start proofreading your post before publishing, look for those areas that you want to highlight it for tweeting.
For example, “This is how I made my first few sales through blogging, Click to tweet”. You can install plugins like Click to tweet to add tweetable quotes within your blog posts.
#4. Share your content across all the social media sites
Social media is the new SEO.
In fact, Google takes social media factors like shares, likes, comments into consideration. Check out the image below to understand the correlation of social media and SEO.
Search engines like Google are giving more and more importance to user interaction metrics like social shares. The more social shares you get the better results you get with your content.
Your content needs more dedication to stand out on the social media. Generally, every blogger is so serious in brainstorming for topic ideas, creating interesting content, SEO practices etc but they don’t promote as much.
What is the use if it doesn’t reach to your audience? How much effort you have kept in creating content, the same effort you should keep in sharing your content across all social media sites.
Here are few tips to follow:
- Optimize your blog post each time you share on social media and for each site.When you are sharing the same content multiple times on several social media sites. Every social network is unique in its own way so adjust accordingly. For example, take the twitter, there is 10 characters restriction whereas in facebook there is no such and users expects more. In Instagram and pinterest, it’s all bout images.
- Never promote the same blog post in the same manner you did previously. Change the strategy with updated content every time. Ask questions, use polls etc.
- Don’t post too many posts on one day. Just imagine if you see too many posts from the same person in your feed. Isn’t it annoying? It looks like a spammer. So, post very few in regular intervals. You can schedule time for publishing using free tools. Once your audience knows your post scheduling, they will check in that time. It builds up certain degree of loyal readership.
- Keep a call-to-action at the end of the post. You can explicitly say to your readers what action you want them to take.
As long as you provide value to your readers, it is okay if you share more than once in the social media.
#5. Promote on blogging forums
One of the effective ways to increase traffic is to use forums for promoting blog posts. But if you use forums in a wrong way, it brings bad reputation to your blog site.You can find the right one by searching “Niche” + “forum”.
While filling user details in forum, use your real name and with your profile photo. Give a link to your website or blog.
Start good topics by regularly visiting the forum. When writing any post in forum, sometimes link to other interesting resources too instead of linking to your blog.
Start a new thread, write summary of your blog post and give link to your blog. You can ask forum audience for review or feedback. Participate in the discussion and engage with the users. You can also use the following forums to promote your content.
- Blog Engage
- Just Retweet
- Warrior Forum
#6. Write guest posts relevant to your content
Guest blogging is NOT dead. It’s still one of the most effective ways to increase your exposure, build links and relationships with other bloggers in your industry.
If you are thinking about ways to increase your brand and build authority in blogging world, then start writing guest posts. Find out right blogs to write guest posts. Guest blogging is the fastest way to build your email list too.
What guest blogging can do?
- Increases your brand name.
- Brings traffic to your blog.
- You can build backlinks to your blog.
Find out opportunities to write guest posts for high authority blogs with these tips.
- Check and list out the blogs related to your niche.You can check it by typing “blog niche” + “submit a guest post”
- Make sure that the blogs you listed out are highly active on social media.
Alternatively, you can sign up in My blog guest community which is especially for guest bloggers. You can create a particular topic and say that you are looking to write a guest post, automatically blog owner will find you.
Start pitching a guest post in the most unique way. Observe what type and level of audience they are looking for, what type of audience, how many number of words per post. Make sure to spend quality time in crafting highly informative guest posts if you want to increase your website traffic and social shares. Without writing quality guest posts, it’s impossible to build blog audience using guest posting.
Before pitching a blog owner with a topic idea, never forget to introduce yourself if you have been blogging already. If you come up with damn interesting topic, then your topic idea will be accepted. So, do good research for ideas before pitching blog owners for guest post. Once accepted, mention top bloggers in your niche in your guest post.
#7. Get influencers to share your stuff
No one succeeds alone whatever the field it is.
Why is that some bloggers posts get shared massively while others posts are not shared. It is because they have influencers who shares their blog post. Did you know that the post shared by one influencer will result in 31.8% more social shares? Influencer marketing clearly gives you the BEST ROI.
How to get influencers who can share your post?
- Offer good content on your influencers website. Write a guest post. Write really amazing content.
- Give free publicity of your influencers posts. Share their content. Remember, what you give that you will get.
- Once you include influencer in any post, make sure that they know about it.
- Leave thoughtful comments on influencers blog. It helps more in engaging with the blog owner.
- Research about which sites, your influencers visit frequently. This you can with the help of Followerwonk tool.
- Do an interview with influencers.
#8. Repurpose your content to get more exposure
One of the blog marketing strategies is to repurpose your content to identify link building opportunities and to extend the reach of your blog.
What is repurposing content means?
It means turning your blog posts into different formats in the form of ebooks, white papers, slideshow, podcasts, videos.
You will get more exposure as you invested good amount of time to write really useful and amazing content that solves the reader’s problems which drives traffic to your blog.
Here are the several ways that you can leverage your blog posts.
- When you write in-depth articles, consider turning them into content upgrades or eBooks and upload them onto free eBook uploading sites to let others download your stuff.
- Re-format for document sharing sites. The one advantage of doing this is you can embed links and images in the documents. Copy your blog post into a word document and add your bio with links and a call-to-action to your blog then convert to PDF. Upload it to doc sharing sites like Scribd, docstoc, Yudu, Docshare etc.
- Turn your posts into podcasts. It’s nothing but recording an audio version of your blog post. You can use Audacity a free recording software for this purpose. You can submit all your podcast files to iTunes. When you record your blog post, make sure that you give an invitation to visit blog along with your name and url of the blog.
#9. Leave “thoughtful comments”
By leaving thoughtful comments on other blogs, your blog will grow magically. A comment can bring you clients, a comment can provide strong connection with a popular blogger, a comment can make you listed as in a post by a famous blogger, a comment can skyrocket your blog traffic, a comment can make your blog success.
Writing comments like “Great post”, “Awesome content”, “very helpful” never help you and your blog in anyway.
- Read the post and leave thoughtful comment.
- Never repeat the same content in the comment.
- It’s okay if you summarize but it should be more than what the post says.
- Use friendly tone in the comment.
- Mention author name in the comment. If you feel you do typo mistakes, then copy the name and post it in the comment.
- Give sincere compliment about post even if its negative. It helps them to do necessary changes in their blog post.
- It serves as an idea generation platform. You get topic ideas to write for your blog.
Blog commenting is no rocket science. Just approach in a friendly way in the comment. Tell them how much you enjoyed their post.
#10. Reach out to other bloggers
A blogger should be highly interactive not with just readers but also with other bloggers. Search for the top bloggers of your niche. A top blog will have more user engagement in the comment section, more social shares, amazing and well-written content, high domain authority and page authority. Make a list of all such top bloggers and start reaching out to them.
There are million of blogs out there so the competition is REALLY huge. So, reaching out to the wrong ones won’t fetch any result and traffic to your blog.
How you can reach out to other bloggers?
- When you write a post in your blog, leave a link to other blogs and let them know about the blog owners about it via email or twitter.
- Share other bloggers posts before you ask someone to share your stuff.
- Comment on other blogs and make sure to build relationships through commenting.
- As I said earlier in the posts, guest posts work like a charm.
Never approach a blogger who doesn’t write about your related topics unless the person specifically leave comment on your blog post. You can use Buzz Sumo tool to find top bloggers in your niche.
Final thoughts about promoting your blog content to boost your traffic
Content is king and promotion is the foundation.
You can’t build a successful blog without increasing its exposure. Before focusing on increasing your sales, focus on how to increase your content’s reach. That’s only possible if you are constantly looking for ways to market your content the right way.
All the strategies mentioned in this detailed post are tried and tested so you can bring more visitors to your sites and boost your online exposure by implementing them.
So what are your thoughts? Do you spend time in blog promotion? What are the other techniques that you use to promote your blog posts? Share your thoughts in the comments.