Are you excited about landing on top blogs with your guest posts? Don’t know how to get started? Well, you’re in the right place then. This detailed article will help you how to write engaging guest post for top blogs.
I’ve been blogging for over 6 years now and I’ve written guest posts for top blogs like Problogger, Daily Blog Tips, Ninja Outreach, Basic Blog Tips and a hundred more.
I know it’s not easy to write guest posts especially for top blogs in any industry.
Anyone can write a guest post but not everyone can write awesome and great content that can fetch potential readers for your blog. No need to worry, here I provide simple and easy tips of how to write great content that can bring massive results to your guest posts.
How to write high converting guest posts for top blogs
#1. Come up with great ideas
Before writing a guest post for any blog, make sure to come up with an idea first.
Coming up with great ideas for your guest posts is not a big deal. You can use tools like Buzzsumo to find popular contents on any blog. Just enter a keyword or domain name of your competitor’s and it will show you all the top posts along with their social shares and backlinks.
Or you can also use other blogs “popular posts” section. Majority of the blogs show their best posts on their sidebar and by analyzing them closely, you can come up with a ton of ideas to pitch them.
Also look for the already published guest posts on the blogs where you want to write guest posts. Make sure to read their guest blogging guidelines. Find out how frequently they publish guest posts on their blogs. Also make sure if they worry about content length so you can write either lengthy or average 1000 words posts.
Quick tip: Make a list of 10 to 20 top blogs in your industry. Follow those bloggers on Twitter. Find out the topics that they frequently tweet about. Those are the topics you can think of covering while pitching them guest post ideas.
#2. Make an outline
If you don’t have clear idea of what you are writing or what you want to convey then you will never write a great content. So, making an outline of the content before writing is indeed very essential. How you can do? Here are the easy and simple tips for you::
- Draft a rough idea before writing a complete post
- Based on that give a catchy title which drives reader’s attention.
- Divide your post into introduction and sections, subsections and then wrap-up
- Make sure that the post you write must hold reader’s attention right from the beginning of the post till end.
- While writing post, always ask for yourself these questions.. How it is useful to readers? What they can get from it?
Quick tip: Use Google Docs for writing and outlining your guest posts. It makes your life really easier. You can edit however you want and you can also save all your content even if your wifi connection goes down.
#3. Write catchy introduction lines
8 out of 10 people read your headlines first. If they are not compelling they simply don’t read what’s inside. Similarly, the first few introduction lines of your guest posts are extremely important.
If they are not compelling enough to draw your audience to read further, you are not going to get any social shares, comments or clicks to your site.
It is very important to start your first sentence with a thought provoking statement because this is where you can engage your readers. It should instill enthusiasm in reader’s mind to read further. The first sentence you wrote must give the overall idea of what you are going to say in the post.
Some of the tips:
- You can start with a “quote” which is related to your post
- Throw a question in an engaging way just like you start when you give speech in public
- Start as if you are telling a thriller story.
Quick tip: Read more. Read Copyblogger’s articles. Read books. Read how other great writers start their blog posts. Use quotes, interesting stats or begin your guest posts with a question. It makes it easy for you to captivate others with your guest posts.
#4. Write lengthy content but never drag
The quickest way to get your guest posts accepted on any blog is to write in-depth and engaging content. If you read any of my guest posts, you will notice that almost every one of them will be over 2000 words.
Even if I’m writing for a blog with smaller audience, I make sure to spend extra time to write 2000 words massive guest posts. Do you know why? They usually rank well.
They get more social shares, links and comments. That’s what I want when I write guest posts for others.
In the name of lengthy content, never ever drag it. Make it simple and easy to understand. Convey in a straightforward manner instead of confusing way. The idea you are going to convey must be understood even by the layman. If you are mentioning any facts in your post then see that those are accurate. Otherwise, there is a potential chance that you will lose credibility with your readers.
Here are some of the tips that you can use to write in-depth guest posts.
- Plan ahead before writing. Make a proper strategy. As I said earlier, outline your content before writing even a single word. It makes it easier to elaborate your guest posts as you go on. This works really best when you are writing review kind of posts.
- Be accurate. Don’t use fluff. Don’t use jargon. Use simple words. Keep your paragraphs short. Use short sentences. It makes it easy for others to digest your content.
- One picture is worth a thousand words. Add video or images that speaks your content. You can use tools like Buffer (Pablo app) or Canva to design compelling images for your guest posts. NEVER use copyrighted images in your guest posts.
- Spend more time in doing research for your guest posts. The more you spend the more data you can come up with to write detailed content for your guest posts.
Quick tip: Write 1000 words every single day. That’s how you can hone your writing skills. The more you read and write the better your writing skills will be. So write more. Be concise and spend quality time in writing detailed content.
#6. Always ensure your guest post is unique
Always come up with 100% original ideas while writing post. Avoid duplicate content and copying from other sites. Google penalizes your site if it scans any duplicate content in your posts. It impacts a lot on the readers. So, what to do? What if, someone already wrote the post that you want to write?
While writing a headline for your guest posts, make sure to use tools like Portent (free tool) to come up with a ton of ideas. Also search for the headlines to see if there are any similar titles for your guest posts. Avoid using them and use unique titles.
Here are few tips to write unique guest posts almost every single time.
- If you find a post “10 Reasons Why You Should Visit Places In India” then you can mould it like “20 Things You Will Miss In India If Not Visited”.
- You can check your content with any plagiarism tools to ensure no duplicate content in your post.
- Check for spell and grammar mistakes in your post before publishing. Make sure to reread your content and proof read it multiple times. Just make sure you are not sending a guest post which is full of typos or grammatical mistakes. No one likes it.
- Optimize your post, use SEO techniques. Make sure to do keyword research and use long tail keywords while writing guest posts.
- Never re-write content that you already wrote in previous posts. Be creative.
Quick tip: Instead of trying to write unique content, develop a unique writing tone. It makes it easy for anyone to consume your content is a unique way. Even if you’re writing product related reviews, by having a unique writing voice helps you increase your sales. Use short paragraphs and humour to make your guest posts more interesting.
#7. Give a punchy conclusion at the end
If you are writing a detailed guest post, make sure to build a habit of writing “conclusion part” at the end of your post. It makes easy for people to find really important information about your guest posts. Also try to add more value with your conclusion instead of using random words.
You need to summarize all the points in the conclusion part and at the same time end with a thought-provoking question. Your readers should come back and check in.
What to do?
- Make a Call-To-Action (CTA) at the end of the article or
- End with a thought-provoking question or
- Write an engaging statement
Also ask people to start discussing about your guest post topic in the comment section so it can be helpful for both you and your audience to engage.
Quick tip: Use the words like “conclusion”, “final thoughts”, “over to you” etc before ending your guest posts. Use that section to conclude your guest post and include few important points to grab your reader’s attention.
Pro tip: Mention other bloggers
A crucial tip most bloggers forget while writing guest posts is they either link to their own sites or host blog’s content. You should be writing guest posts to build relationships with other not just links.
So make sure to link out to other bloggers and email them when your guest posts go live. That way you can cultivate your relationships as well as promoting your guest posts. While linking to other bloggers, make sure your links are relevant and not promotional.
Don’t use too many external links or it can spoil the quality of your guest posts.
Final thoughts about writing guest posts for top blogs
If you are starting guest posting for the first time, go small. Instead of trying to write for the biggest blogs in your industry, find small blogs where you can easily publish your guest posts.
Once you build a momentum, you can start writing for better blogs. Once you start getting enough attention from other bloggers, links and social shares, you can contact authority blogs to write guest posts.
Every blogger has their own way to write content. However, there are some common strategies that every one follow. I provided simple and easy tips out of my blogging experience. If you want to make a living out of blogging, you should definitely consider the above discussed steps very seriously.
Did I miss anything? Do you have any more tips that can be used to write guest posts for authority sites? Share your thoughts in the comments.