Whether you know it or not, WordPress is Google friendly.
That means, if you are using WordPress to run your sites, you are backed up with so many in-build Google friendly features.
But that doesn’t mean your site will get a ton of traffic from search engines like Google.
You MUST optimize your blog posts for SEO in order to bring more visitors from Google. Otherwise even if you are using Google friendly blogging platforms like WordPress or something else, it won’t help you much.
If you are wondering how to properly optimize your site for SEO, this detailed post is for you where you will discover 6 killer tips to boost your search traffic.
How to optimize your content for massive search traffic
#1. Firstly, understand how search engines work
First things first. You need to really understand how Google works. Only then you can easily understand various strategies you can use to please their crawlers to drive more search engine traffic to your sites.
Search engines usually uses crawlers to search all over the web. Here’s where you need to understand the importance of having a sitemap for your sites.
A sitemap is essential for every blog as it helps search crawlers to easily find and crawl your entire site. If you don’t have a sitemap, it’s extremely difficult for crawlers to find your content.
Then, how to create a sitemap within a minute?
Fortunately for WordPress users, there’s a free plugin called Google XML sitemaps is available. Download, activate it and submit your sitemap to Google webmaster tools and everything else will taken care by Google search crawlers.
There are basically 3 things that almost every search engine uses.
- Showing results
You can easily do the first 2 things by using an XML sitemap and submitting on webmaster tools on Google, Yahoo! and Bing. Once you get those two things done correctly, you can work on your website SEO to get better results on search engines like Google.
#2. Put yourself in the shoes of your searchers
If you want to bring more traffic from Google, you need to start thinking about what they might type on Google to find your sites.
That means, you need to put yourself in their shoes to better understand about their wants and needs. This is why knowing your target audience is extremely important.
Also focus on creating a mobile-centric search strategy. Did you know that mobile makes up to 90% of all the searches?
Yes, people are using smartphones these days to find information online. So optimizing for mobile searches can give you instant results.
If you are wondering about how to find what your target audience might type on Google, you should have a look at the below image.
Did you see that? Even before you type few specific keywords, Google instant search gives you automatic searches that are popular. Those are the keywords most people in your industry are searching on Google.
Now, you know what kind of keywords you can use in your content to drive more traffic from Google using the “searchers strategy”.
#3. Keyword research is everything
Want more search traffic? I’ve a simple for you. Do keyword research.
It doesn’t matter what strategies you are using to bring more search traffic but if you are not doing keyword research before creating any content, you are simply not going to get any traffic from Google. It’s as simple as that.
It all usually starts with the keyword research.
Finding and using the RIGHT keywords can bring you a ton of traffic and sales from search engines. But still most people (especially beginners) don’t do keyword research at all.
If you are also doing the same mistake, stop doing it right now and start spending your time on creating a list of highly potential yet low competitive keywords that are relevant to your blog topics.
One of the easiest things you can do to increase your search traffic is to use a SEO tool something like SEMrush or Long Tail Pro. These tools can really come in handy in finding great keywords in less time.
Although they are paid tools but they are worth every single penny. And don’t forget to remember one thing: if you are serious about making money blogging, you need to invest money. Don’t expect everything for free.
That being said, here are few rocking tips for you that can help you do keyword research with ease.
- Find keywords that have 4 or more words in it. These are generally called as long tail keywords and they are easier to rank for. For instance, “how to increase search traffic” is a 5 word long tail keyword. Use tools like SEMrush, Keyword Planner, Long Tail Pro etc to find such long tail keywords.
- Make sure to find those keywords with low monthly search volume. As a rule of thumb, pick those keywords with the average monthly search volume between 500 to 1500 (monthly searches) so you can easily get better rankings for those keywords even if you have a new website or blog.
- Find out what keywords your competitors are using to increase their search engine traffic. Again, tools like SEMrush comes into handy. Competitor’s keyword analysis can alone help you quickly boost your traffic and sales.
- NEVER use a keyword that has too much monthly search volume. Because you need to spend a lot of time and efforts into building links and making it rank for the top 10 search results.
#4. Focus on your on page SEO
Google always gives top search results to those pages which are perfectly optimized both for humans and search engines.
That’s why on page SEO optimization is very important when it comes to bringing more visitors from search engines. Did you know that over 20% of your search traffic depends on your on page SEO?
That means, if you do just on page SEO right, you can easily improve your search traffic by over 20%.
In simple words, on page SEO is all about what you do on your web pages to influence search rankings. The following are the few things that are included in on page optimization. Make sure to use your primary keywords in the following places to improve your rankings.
- Your headline
- Sub headlines
- Meta description
- Image alt tags
- Internal links
- Your body of the text
- Website speed
All the above factors help you bring more traffic from on page SEO. Here’s a nice image that shows you all the factors involved in it.
So make sure to do on page SEO right (by using your primary keywords in the above shown places) if you want to get better search results.
#5. Attract links to your content
The fastest way to increasing your search engine traffic is this: get a ton of quality links.
Seriously, if your blog attracts a lot of links from other sites, Google thinks your content is authoritative and gives you rewarding results in their search results.
This is the #1 reason why top sites usually get more search traffic when compared to a new blog. Google don’t trust new blogs but it trusts those sites with lots of backlinks.
But that doesn’t mean you should keep on building links through paid or free methods. Make sure all your links have a nice combination of both dofollow and nofollow links. That’s when Google think you’re building links naturally and it starts giving you better results.
Here’s how you can attract more links to your content.
- Write authoritative content. When an expert in your industry reads your content, he should share it without thinking twice. That’s called link-worthy content. That’s how you attract natural backlinks to your sites.
- Start linking out to other bloggers and do it often. Whenever you link to someone else, make sure to email them. Keep on doing it until they start linking back to your stuff. By using this method, you are also building strong relationships with others which is crucial for your online success.
- Don’t follow shortcuts. They will never help you achieve better results in the long run. Don’t buy links. Don’t build links too fast. If Google smells that you are doing link building fast, it may penalize your site from search results without giving you a notice.
#6. Improve your social signals
Did you know that Google start taking your social shares into consideration? Yes, it’s true.
Google wants to show the search results according to the user engagement. That means that more social shares (Facebook likes, tweets etc) that your blog posts get the better search rankings they will get.
Social media sites like Twitter, Facebook, Google+ are the NEW rage now. They can quickly help you bring more visitors. They can help you building engagement, find raving fans and improve your personal brand to grow your traffic and sales.
Then, how to boost your social signals to improve your SEO to bring massive Google traffic?
- Build social media profiles across all the platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest etc by using your blog’s name. Tell everyone you know about liking it and spreading the word.
- Use a social sharing plugin like Flares or Digg Digg. They can help you quickly start showing social media sharing buttons on your posts so your readers can share your content with the click of a button.
- While creating content, make sure to use call to actions like “Like this post? Share it with your friends” etc. That way if your audience find your content interesting, they will definitely share your stuff.
- Mention influencers within your content. Email them after publishing your posts and ask them to share your content with their network.
Bonus tip: Invest in long form of content
Write articles with more than 1500 to 2000 words. Do you know why? Long and detailed articles usually ranks well in Google search results.
Here’s the proof.
BTW, I’m publishing long form of content on my own blog from last 2 years and my tripled my search engine traffic and sales. So if you are looking for just one tip to boost your search traffic, it is to create detailed content.
Final thoughts about optimizing your blog posts for SEO
Bringing more traffic from Google is not hard when you properly optimize your blog posts for SEO. Majority of the bloggers struggle to grow their search traffic because they don’t do essential things like keyword research, competitor analysis, link building etc.
So all the points mentioned above in this guide is to help you achieve better search results. Make sure to implement them while writing your future blog posts. Also make sure to focus on giving better experience to your target audience.
So what do you think about optimizing your content for SEO? Do you have any more tips? Please share them in the comments below.