Have you ever taken a moment to Google your personal name to see what comes up? Hopefully, it’s your own website or blog, but if not — you might have a reputation management problem on your hands!
The truth is, Google is going to deliver your first impression to millions of people a year… whether you like it or not. Businesses are searching for their employees online and definitely anyone they are looking to potentially hire. Friends and family are probably searching for you online as well. And if you are a brand or business, there is definitely an audience out there looking up information, reviews, coupons, complaints and anything else you could possibly think of as well.
The good news is that you can take control of how your personal or business brand looks online, and a blog is one of the best ways to do it.
For example, here’s three simple steps that could dramatically improve your chances for ranking on the first page of Google for your name.
- Register your personal name as a domain
- Setup a website/blog and add content to the site
- Share it on social media and build backlinks to the site
It’s a simple three-step formula, but having your own personal website or blog is one of the best ways to rank in Google. Another cool fact is that your social networking profiles are extremely easy to rank in Google as well. Just like with your site, create Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn profiles for your personal name, then send a few backlinks to them. They should start to rank in Google quite fast.
The ultimate goal when trying to protect your reputation online and in the search results is to build a protective wall around your brand. A blog is a great way to accomplish this, and it should act as your main hub — ultimately ranking #1 in Google for your name or brand. The difficulty in ranking #1 for your personal name will also vary based on how many other people share your name, and if you already share your name with someone famous.
It’s definitely something that will take a decent amount of time to accomplish, but your name is something you will have for the rest of your life — so it’s definitely worth it!
10 Amazing Facts About How Others See You Online
With the concept of how a blog can help you protect your reputation online, let’s look at some industry stats on why it’s so important to have control over your reputation and what people find when they search for your name. For this, we can refer to the infographic below provided by SEOBrand.com’s reputation management division.
Some of the most important takeaways from the report are:
- SEARCH – When it comes to finding information online, 65% of users trust the results the find in the search results.
- REVIEWS – 79% of consumers value online reviews with the same amount of trust and weight that they do from personal recommendations.
- RESEARCH – Before making a purchase, 85% of consumers use the internet to search for reviews and product information online.
- JOB HIRINGS – Nearly 85% of all companies are now researching employees and future hires before making any final decisions.
With all of that in mind… is what Google is displaying at the top of the search results for your name and brand representing you well?