Did you know why few blogs get tons of traffic from search engines?
Social media? Email list? No. It is content.
Content is the reason why people like Rand Fishkin, Brian Clark, Neil Patel have been able to build million dollar online businesses.
Gone are the days where you could bring more search traffic by posting 500 words articles. They now won’t add any value either to your audience or Google search crawlers.
You have to create long form of content if you want to build a loyal readership and increase your search rankings. In this detailed guide, let’s talk about how to create such in-depth content without boring your readers.
A word of precaution
Before we get into the details of writing lengthy content to increase your social and search engine rankings, let me clarify you one thing.
Don’t aim for 2000 words. Aim for quality. If you have some insights, cover them in a detailed way. Otherwise, writing lengthy posts just for the sake of filling words don’t add any value to your audience. If your readers are not happy with your stuff, they won’t share your content and it won’t attract any comments or backlinks.
So there’s no point in writing detailed content if you don’t have anything to say.
Pick an interesting topic that your readers care about and fill it with the detailed information without any fuss.
Now, let us talk about how you can create in-depth high quality content without frustrating your readers. Are you ready? Let’s dive into the details without further ado.
How to write detailed content that ranks well in search engines
Don’t write for thousands of readers, write for ONE
One of the biggest mistakes almost 90% of the bloggers make while creating content is they write for everyone. What happens when you target everyone with your content?
Your content simply appeals to no one.
Sounds strange? But it’s true. If you other hand focus on pleasing ONE reader at a time, you can create much stronger impression with your content.
Not only your content quality improves but it actually helps you give best information or solutions to the reader you are targeting.
So while creating detailed content next time, make sure to find your targeted reader and create content just for him.
While creating content, imagine your target reader is sitting in front of your couch and write like you talk.
That way you can avoid jargon and use simple yet most effective words to create awareness about the stuff you want to promote.
List out all the questions that ONE reader might have
Once you figure out that one reader whom you want to target, list out all the problems he might have.
Turn those problems into questions and then into your blog post ideas.
That way you will be able to create problem solving content that your target reader is craving for. You will also be able to use tons of long tail keywords that increase both your search traffic and sales.
This is the exact strategy used by the top online marketer Marcus Sheridan to create the most profitable online business called “The Sales Lion”.
See how can you help your ONE reader with your posts.
While creating content, always remember to give top priority to serving your audience NOT Google. If you help you readers with your content, you will get more social shares, links, sales and comments.
If Google crawlers see more user engagement (in terms of social shares or comments), it will automatically gives you better search rankings for the keywords you are trying to rank for.
How to write 2000 words articles?
Recently when SerpIQ conducted a survey, they found out that the average content length of top 10 search results have over 2000 words.
That means, Google is giving more and more importance to the web pages that have more words on them. You will definitely get an edge if you start creating content with more than 2000 words.
I myself have been using this strategy while creating contents for my blog at BloggersPassion. Surprisingly, my traffic went really up over the last one year and I’m also noticing the increase in my website sales.
So how to write 2000+ words articles that rank well in search results? Here are 5 simple yet most effective tips for writing lengthy content easily.
- Do more research. Average article writers who write 500 – 600 words usually don’t do much research. The quality and quantity of your content really depends on your research. If you have discovered a lot of topics from your research, you can certainly create long form of content.
- Think about various ways to expand your idea. Once you get a blog post idea, don’t just sit and start writing. Instead, brainstorm how you could expand that idea to make it more detailed and much useful for your target audience.
- Outline your content. Make sure to include the beginning, meat of the content and the summary of your content. If you cover these 3 things, you usually end up writing detailed and long form of content no matter what your niche is.
- Tell stories. One of the most effective ways to write engaging long form of content is to tell your readers stories that connect with them instantly. Think about various ideas on how can you tell them stories that are relevant to your products or services.
- Analyze all the detailed posts that are frequently published on the top blogs such as Moz, QuickSprout, NeilPatel.com, Buffer etc. You will find there’s a common content creating framework can be seen on almost all of them. Find out how these top bloggers are hooking their readers. Find out how they are using emotional triggers to persuade their audience with their content. Use the same content creation framework when you are creating your own posts.
How to get better search rankings for your content
Writing long form of content is one thing and making it rank well in search engines is another thing. Here are few essential ingredients you need to implement if you want to get better search rankings for your long and in-depth content.
Start using long tail keywords
Long tail keywords usually contain more than 4 keywords on it. For instance, “iPhone 5s best reviews” is a 4 word long tail keyword.
Identifying the right long tail keywords for your content is the key to increasing your search traffic and sales. If you are still wondering why you need to start focusing on long tail keywords, here are three good reasons.
- They increase your overall search traffic quickly because they are much easier to rank for.
- They increase your website sales because people who use long tail keywords while searching are more tend to buy your stuff.
- They create awareness about the products or services you promote.
You can use tools such as KeywordTool.io, Long Tail Pro etc for finding profitable long tail keywords within minutes.
Just make sure to select the long tail keywords which have the competition between 100 to 2000. That way you can be able to use less competitive long tail keywords which can help you easily rank higher and faster in Google search results.
You can also use tools like SEMrush if you want to beat your competitors by deeply analyzing the best keywords they are already ranking for. Here you can find more about how to use SEMrush to find great keywords that increase your traffic.
If you spend some time in finding the right long tail keywords, you will be rewarded with more search traffic from Google. Moreover, getting traffic from long tail keywords won’t take much time.
Don’t forget to do on-page SEO
Your on-page optimization influences your search rankings directly. If you are not keyword stuffing and using the right combination of long tail keywords at the right places on your web pages, they will definitely rank higher in Google search results.
Whether you agree it or not, proper on-page SEO is the key to faster Google search rankings.
Here are few places you should definitely use your primary seed keywords if you want to see boost in your search engine rankings.
- Image alt tags: Using your primary keyword in your image alt tags is the surefire way to increase your traffic from “Google Image” search results. Don’t use random names or file names or numbers while optimizing your images. They don’t add any value either to your readers or Google search crawlers. Take time to properly optimize your images.
- Headline: Make sure to use your primary or secondary keywords in your headlines to make your blog posts rank well in search results.
- Sub headings: Use your primary seed keywords in your h2 and h3 sub headlines to improve the chances of ranking well for your desired keyword combinations.
- Beginning of the text: It is proven that if you use your targeted keywords within the first 100 words on your article, your content ranks better for such keywords because of the improved visibility to the crawlers.
- In your page URL: Use short and sweet URL’s and optimize them for your desired keywords.
- Meta description of the post: Never forget to include your main keywords in your meta description. They help you quickly boost your overall search rankings for the keywords you are targeting for.
Make sure to come up with at least one primary keyword for each blog post you create if you want to increase search rankings for all of your web pages. With the proper on-page SEO it becomes really easy for you to create SEO friendly content.
User keyword rich headlines
Last but not the least, spend quality time on writing powerful headlines that capture your audience’s attention.
Don’t forget to include the primary keywords you want to rank for in your headlines. After all, keywords in your headlines contain a lot of weightage while crawling your content by search crawlers.
Don’t write lengthy headlines, often search engines show headlines not more than 60 to 70 characters. So write short, powerful and compelling headlines within 65 characters.
Final thoughts about creating long content that ranks wells in Google
Writing long form of high quality content takes a lot of time. Once Pat Flynn said he usually takes around 7 to 10 hours to finish one post.
If you are aiming to build a top quality blog, make sure to spend most of your time on researching and creating your content. Decrease your blog posting frequency if you have but publish something on your blog only when it’s truly epic and helpful to your audience.
Editing is the key to make your lengthy content go viral in search engines as well as social media. Never publish a post without proofreading and remove all the unwanted words that sound like a jargon.
What do you think about writing long and quality content? Do you agree long form of content with more than 2000 words usually ranks well in search engines? Please let me know your thoughts in the comments.