Blogging has completely changed the way I do business on the internet. Since the launch of my blog at ZacJohnson.com in 2007, I’ve been able to open up a whole new world of opportunities. Everything from getting the opportunities to speak around the world at conferences, appearing on Fox and ABC News, to releasing my own book and connecting with thousands of people all around the world. It’s been awesome!
Without my blog I would probably still be building out web sites and pushing ad campaigns, while making other people rich. There is nothing wrong with ad campaigns, expect you are continually pushing your hard work and data off to another larger company who is monetizing the customer and has them for life. Another big difference between the two is that ad campaigns will almost always deliver a much better ROI than a blog first starting out. However, once you do have a blog in place that is generating revenue and business for you, then you can focus your efforts on growing out your own content and my brand, all at the same time.
How to Use a Blog to Enhance Your Personal Brand
There are two main ways that you should be using a blog. One of them is to provide information on a service or products that you currently have for your business, the other is to build awareness and authority around your brand. My two blogs, ZacJohnson.com and BloggingTips.com are both focused around building my own authority. Since I don’t really sell my own products or services, the majority of revenue created through the sites is through on site advertising, reviews and business opportunities that come as a result of the blog.
With all of that said, my main focus is to always grow my personal brand through my blogs.
Here are some tips on how you can do the same.
- Find what you are awesome at. Why are you blogging in the first place and why should someone want to hire you? There are plenty of “how to” blogs out there, and if you don’t currently have a product or service that you are selling… what is the end goal of your site?
- Social networks are everywhere. With over 2 billion users across all of the major social networks, you should be using them to your advantage. Setup a page for your self and your business.
- Dominate the main page of search. When someone searches for your name or blog in the search results, what do they see? One of the best ways to leave a good lasting impression is to make sure that you have as many main page rankings as possible. A web site, blog, press releases, news articles, guest blog posts and social networking profiles is a great way to fill up all ten spots.
- Think longterm, not in the moment. On site advertising and Google Adsense is great for generic blogs, but if you have a site that is selling something or yourself, stay away from these methods as you will only be pushing your highly qualified and targeted customers away.
- Build a brand that people trust. This is one of the most important pieces to building a successful brand online. It’s easy to try and blog about anything to make a quick buck, but this just a short monetary value. Focus on quality and gain the trust of your audience.
Follow these tips and make 2014 your best blogging year yet!