How to Improve Writing Skills In 7 Easy Ways

Posted by on 6th Dec 2013 | 18 comments

Do you know how to improve writing skills?

If you want to make money as a writer, blogging is one very attractive option. Almost everyone is blogging these days and there’s no shortage of topics to write about. Many how to improve writing skills - struggling writerbusinesses are looking for bloggers to help them with marketing. At the same time, you can also put up your own blog and monetize it.

You’ll find so many success stories of bloggers in this site. I like reading these stories because they’re so inspiring; they reassure me that it’s possible to make a living doing something I really love.

Become great in blogging by finding ways on how to improve writing skills

However, successful blogging doesn’t come easy. With the amount of competition there is today, you have to be exceptional. This doesn’t necessarily mean you have to write like Hemingway. You just need to know how to do the right things really well like marketing, networking, and, of course, writing posts that readers will love.

It also doesn’t mean you have to be the best writer. You can, however, find ways on how to improve writing skills.

With practice, you can become a very good blogger that businesses consider indispensable.

Here are some really easy tips that will teach you how to improve writing skills

Take the time to understand your target readers. The effective articles/blog posts are those that readers easily understand, learn from and find interesting. They don’t need to be literary pieces. They must be useful and comprehensive.

You can accomplish this by getting to know your audience. Find out what they want to read. Figure out which voice, style or format they respond better to. Use language that they can easily understand.

Use simple words and write short sentences. Simple words and shorter sentences are more effective because most people don’t like reading long texts; they get bored. Write concisely. Keep your posts short but sweet. You’d be surprised at how more difficult it is to write shorter articles.

Create an outline. Outlines are great because they serve as guides when writing. When you’re stuck and don’t know how to start or structure your posts, create an outline first.

Read a lot. You can’t write extensively on something you know nothing about. Research before you sit down to write. Get your hands on as many sources as possible (books, journals, blogs, white papers, magazines, etc.).  Writing well is a direct result of extensive reading.

Be more aggressive with verbs. Use passive sentences. They make posts more effective. How do you do it? Make your subject the doer of the action. The boy kicked the dog is more effective than the dog was kicked by the boy.

Wake up a couple of hours earlier than usual. Nothing beats writing with zero distraction. Have you ever found it difficult to write something at home, the office, or even at the coffee shop? It’s because there’s so much going on around you. Distraction kills productivity. For me, the best time to write productively is when no one’s up yet.

Let your writing marinate overnight, longer if necessary. After writing, you must edit. But it’s advisable to do it hours after typing the final sentence. Let your work marinate for a few hours then go back when you have fresher set of eyes. That should help you edit and revise your work more effectively.

The secret in learning how to improve writing skills is practice. You’ll notice that the aforementioned seem very easy but they’re really not. You can’t become better at writing without repeated attempts. I’ll be honest and say that it’s tough at first but if you’re passionate about what you do, this shouldn’t even feel like a struggle.

So there you go, 7 easy ways on how to improve writing skills.

Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below.

Irwin creates awesome content for various businesses online. He blogs about writing and other stuff, like Survivor. He also contributes for a lifestyle magazine. Follow him on Twitter and Google+.

• Posted by Ryan Biddulph on 6th Dec 2013

Hi Irwin,

Removing passive sentences snags your reader’s attention pronto.

Use power verbs to improve your writing skills. Think about articles and posts which moved you. Reading a lot helps you pinpoint and develop this skill because you will learn from other writers how to grab attention through this method.

Thanks for sharing!
    Ryan Biddulph recently posted..Do People Think You Are Lying?My Profile

• Posted by Irwin on 10th Dec 2013

Hi Ryan,

I just realized that I used “passive” instead of “active” in one of the section. Ooops. Your comment helped me figure it out. Thanks :)

I remember one client sent me a list of power verbs and it had been very helpful. I should go and share it in the next post. Thanks for dropping by!

• Posted by Kj Rocker on 6th Dec 2013

I have noticed one mistake with most of freelance writers is that they will accept any kind of project however they dont conduct too much research about the topic they are writing about. for example writers on internet marketing forums i am not saying all but most of them would create articles which if you read carefully you will start pulling your hair …
    Kj Rocker recently posted..Most awaited Google page rank update is here!My Profile

• Posted by Irwin on 10th Dec 2013

Hi Kj, I agree. I noticed that this is common with those starting out. I used to be one of them.
      But I realized that it can be advantageous too. This can help a writer can discover a niche/topic he likes and become good at. But, just like you mentioned, the writer must put in hours of research. Nothing’s worse than an article that doesn’t contain accurate and relevant data.
      Irwin recently posted..Slow Down Challenge Day 3: Focus, Focus, FocusMy Profile

• Posted by Tony Nguyen on 7th Dec 2013

Hi,
    WOW… I love this post. Love the way you write your posts. The information in this article is really unique and useful for me. After reading this article, I think I have some ideas for myself. I do follow your articles recently. Thanks for sharing this post. Hope to read more interesting information from you. Great job!

• Posted by Irwin on 10th Dec 2013

Hi Tony, thank you for reading my blog posts. I’m glad that you find the stuff here useful. If you have time, please visit my blog, i-writes.com for more tips on writing. You will enjoy it.

And do let me know of your ideas. I might be able to help out :)
      Irwin recently posted..Slow Down Challenge Day 3: Focus, Focus, FocusMy Profile

• Posted by Tharun on 7th Dec 2013

Hi Irwin,
    Nice post on improving writing skills. You have given us good information regarding writing skills. yes, the points you listed like creating out line. As out line is important because it is what a post goes on.
    write short sentences, This is not only simple but also it helps in keywords to rank high. So I love all your tips you have mentioned there and thanks for sharing.
    Tharun recently posted..Recharge Mobile Number Online Using Mobikwik (DTH, Data Cards)My Profile

• Posted by Lissa Johnston on 7th Dec 2013

As much as I hate to admit it, #6 is good advice. Can you tell I am not a morning person?? But #7 is my favorite. I have never written anything that was not improvable after 24 hours (or longer!), even if it is as simple as removing a comma.
    Lissa Johnston recently posted..50th Hits Close To HomeMy Profile

• Posted by Irwin on 10th Dec 2013

Hi Lisa,

At first I found it hard to wake up earlier than usual because I always stay up late but eventually it became a habit. I’m sure you can do it :)
      Irwin recently posted..Slow Down Challenge Day 3: Focus, Focus, FocusMy Profile

• Posted by Nancy Badillo on 7th Dec 2013

Hi Irwin,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful tips for improving my writing. I will be using this tips immediately. :-)
    Nancy Badillo recently posted..Custom URL For Your Google Plus PageMy Profile

• Posted by Irwin on 10th Dec 2013

Hi Nancy,

I’m glad you found them useful. I sure hope they help. If you have time, please check out my blog, http://www.i-writes.com. It’s got more writing tips in it. Thanks!

• Posted by Ashik on 8th Dec 2013

Hi Irwin,

I’ll follow your advice on improving writing skills.
    I really appreciate, thanks so much.

• Posted by James Bradrick on 8th Dec 2013

Quality, informative post.
    1) I just started a curated RSS stream to keep up with ideas in my niche that I want to write about. At this point I can’t say that it’s a good tip but I have this feeling that it will be soon.
    2)I’ve been using Google Drive to write my posts. They ‘sit’ there and I can edit them when the time seems right.
    3)Writing first thing in the morning is great! I just have to make sure I have a plan before retiring the night before.
    4) I’ve been using mind maps to create the structure and theme of my posts. Works great.
    5) Don’t forget the coffee! It does help with mind-finger coordination.

• Posted by Irwin on 10th Dec 2013

Hey James! Curating is good. All the stuff you find can give you the inspiration you need. Plus, it’s fun to read so many interesting articles online (even watch videos).
      You’re right about mind maps! They’re extremely useful. I haven’t used them much but they can make things really easy to accomplish.
      You won’t believe how much coffee I consume when writing. 5 cups a day is not enough :)
      Irwin recently posted..Slow Down Challenge Day 3: Focus, Focus, FocusMy Profile

• Posted by metz on 8th Dec 2013

To improve your writing skills is to write daily. And of course, reading a lot is also a great and smart idea. You can earn and improve your intellectual skills and your idea about how to craft a comprehensive piece will be better.

Use simple words and write short sentences-I want this to put forward. Short and straightforward write ups is beyond good.

• Posted by Irwin on 10th Dec 2013

Hi Metz,

Yes, writing every day is a great way to become better. It’s like building muscles. Constant workouts will bulk you up; the same thing with writing. I read a lot and I believe that’s helped me write better. Thanks for dropping by. If yo have time, please check out my blog, http://www.i-writes.com. :)
      Irwin recently posted..Slow Down Challenge Day 3: Focus, Focus, FocusMy Profile