Truth About Writing A Blog Post in 20 Minutes Revealed

Posted by on 1st Mar 2013 | 21 comments

Is it really possible to finish a blog post in 20 minutes?

I’ve seen a lot of articles on this and although they do discuss steps that will allow you to write a blog post in just a few minutes, I believe that there is one thing missing—something that authors didn’t include in there: preparation.

If you think about it, how is it possible to write a great post in such a quick time? You can write something from scratch but don’t expect it to be stellar.

I’ve done it a lot of times before. Yes, it’s doable. However, 20 minutes are not enough to acquire all the data you need to back up your piece. It’s almost impossible to think of a unique angle on topics that have been written over and over in that amount of time. Additionally, how can you proofread your work before time runs out?

You can finish a blog post in 20 minutes but the result is most likely not going to please you—or your clients.

Writing a blog post is different from creating blog content. Remember that (and yes, you can tweet that if you like).

can you write a blog post in 20 minutes?What your blog needs is content—useful content. And to do that, it’ll require you to spend more than 20 minutes. Successful writers know this. And this is something you have to remember all the time.

A great blog post is packed with information delivered in the most interesting way. It’s different from the usual stuff seen on the web. Most importantly, it’s compelling and can affect change.

Do you think you can have all these in 20 minutes? Most certainly not.

Let me break down the steps required in creating awesome blog content.

Gather data. Research will and should take up most of your time. You have to make sure that all data is accurate and from reliable sources. There are times when you’ll need to look for sources other than the web. In my experience, 30 minutes is not enough to gather all data I’ll need even for a 500-word post.

Plan how you’re going to write the post. After gathering all that data, you need to soak it all in to figure out an angle for your post. In an age where most blogs talk about the same thing, it can be very difficult to produce something that’s not been tackled by other writers. Brainstorming can be a very long process.

Start writing. Writing the first sentence can be painstaking or smooth-sailing depending on how much you know about your topic. If you’ve spent enough time doing the first 2 entries, then you should be done in a few minutes.

This is why a lot of writers say it’s possible to create something awesome in less than 20 minutes. It’s only doable when you know what and how you’re going to write. That explains so many people’s claims that you can write a blog post in 20 minutes or less.

Proofread and revise when needed. Your work doesn’t end when you’ve written the concluding sentence. You have to check for errors and make the necessary changes where needed. Proofreading is crucial because this ensures your work is flawless and adheres to all guidelines provided by your clients.

Did you notice that there are only 4 steps? And yet it takes more than 20 minutes. Yes, you can write a blog post in 20 minutes but it’s not going to be something you’ll be proud of.

The bottom line here is you shouldn’t be too concerned about completing a blog post in less than 20 minutes. You have to focus on creating high-quality posts. Quality takes time and effort. It will make you a better and more profitable blogger.

So what about you? Do you think you can write a great blog post in that short time? Feel free to post your thoughts below.

Irwin creates awesome content for various businesses online. He blogs about writing and other stuff, like Survivor. He also contributes for a lifestyle magazine. Follow him on Twitter and Google+.

• Posted by Dawn Rice on 1st Mar 2013

You’re absolutely correct! Quality content takes time, and 20 minutes just isn’t enough time. It bugs me when people say that. Either they’ve never written a blog post or they’re churning out crap.
    Dawn Rice recently posted..Content Marketing: Why Should You Use It?My Profile

• Posted by Irwin on 4th Mar 2013

Yes, Dawn. Quality does take time. And if we are serious about creating useful content, then we have to invest time. Though it’s possible to finish something in a few minutes, it only happens if we have a very good grasp of the topic. Otherwise, all we’ll produce is crap.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

• Posted by Gautam Doddamani on 9th Mar 2013

exactly!! i agree with you dawn…i myself take a lot of time mindmapping for ideas and then researching behind those topics…don’t even get me started about writing content…its like so much pressure to deliver…sometimes i take breaks and this extends the amount of time i take to complete an article by a considerable amount..i think 20 minutes is for sure a crappy article!
        Gautam Doddamani recently posted..Google Plus pushes Large Cover Photos, Neat Hovercards and About TabMy Profile

• Posted by Ray on 1st Mar 2013

I have read a few posts about how people can write something up in 30 minutes or less. Personally I couldn’t do it, not even close. I spend at least 20 minutes editing, proofreading, and spell checking alone. If someone can write something decent up that fast that is great, but it usually takes me well over an hour sometimes several hours.
    Ray recently posted..How to Reset Your WordPress Admin PasswordMy Profile

• Posted by Irwin on 2nd Mar 2013

Yes, it’s great for those who can do it in that amount of time. But I really believe that if you’re going to write something, you better do it right. And that will take longer than 20 minutes.
      Irwin recently posted..5 Creativity Tips for Writers, BloggersMy Profile

• Posted by devinder (thetecnica) on 2nd Mar 2013

There shouldn’t be any hurry for completing a post because a good post requires a lot of time to research and write. So, I agree with the fact that 20 minutes are not enough to post good content on the blog.
    devinder (thetecnica) recently posted..2 Brand New Android Apps of the WeekMy Profile

• Posted by Earl on 2nd Mar 2013

We all have those “in the zone” moments; and during those moments, I can write something up in around 30 minutes. That is, if I’m also listening to some rocking music as my fingers start moving on their own. As you mentioned, they’re usually far from stellar. Most times, though, I just draw blanks.

• Posted by Irwin on 2nd Mar 2013

I do have those times too, Earl. But if I’m writing for a client’s blog, then I don’t really feel comfortable with the outcome. I surely don’t want to publish something that’s not backed up with facts and flawless. And that’s why I always tell myself to spend more time prior to the writing process. Thanks for dropping by!
      Irwin recently posted..5 Creativity Tips for Writers, BloggersMy Profile

• Posted by khadeer on 2nd Mar 2013

Awesome post. You put all of the information in one place. This tips definitely helpful for new bloggers. Thanks.
    khadeer recently posted..Social Media in B2B: 5 key steps to a successful launchMy Profile

• Posted by Ramsay on 2nd Mar 2013

I try to write unique content my sharing my personal experience and hence it takes more than 1 hour to write each article. I’m trying to improve my writing speed and articles like these are always inspirational. Thank you.
    Ramsay recently posted..How to get PageRank Quickly in the very First UpdateMy Profile

• Posted by Siegfried on 2nd Mar 2013

I think it is completely doable if you write about something you are expert in, something you really love. no problem then :)
    Siegfried recently posted..Impossibility – free domain name generatorMy Profile

• Posted by Irwin on 4th Mar 2013

You’re right, Siegfried. Experts on a certain field are definitely going to be able to write something in that amount of time. But there are many writers, especially those who write for clients, who are not that highly knowledgeable in a certain niche.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to share it to your friends :D
      Irwin recently posted..5 Creativity Tips for Writers, BloggersMy Profile

• Posted by Sarvesh on 3rd Mar 2013

Well written article Irwin.
    I think Writing a blog post in 20 min or near around it is not very much concerned to the bloggers in this profession but the info it contains is to the importance of quality in the content you write in every post of your blog which actually grows you up.
    It might be easy to write a post within half an hour but as you wrote it definitely takes time to pre-prepare your work gathering all the related ideas and thinkings over your topic..
    Sarvesh recently posted..BMW X1 2013 Model More Promising With EnhancementsMy Profile

• Posted by Irwin on 4th Mar 2013

Thank you for dropping by, Sarvesh. Hope you check out my other blog posts as well.

• Posted by Zac Johnson on 3rd Mar 2013

It’s also not so much about the time it takes you to write the content, but how well you know what you are writing about.

For instance… if I had to write a 600 word article on affiliate marketing or blogging, I would have no problem cranking something decent out in 20 mins, simply because I have been doing this for so long.

At the same time, if I had to write about credit cards or something I had no interest in, it would take much longer to write as I would have to do some research and come up with the content to write about.

Putting all of these factors together makes it very important and effective for writers to continually write about what they know.
    Zac Johnson recently posted..Meet Rahul Kuntala from LearnBlogTips.comMy Profile

• Posted by Irwin on 4th Mar 2013

Absolutely right on! Mastery of a certain subject is definitely a huge factor in the time it takes to write something. For me, writing about writing is easy and quick because it’s something I’ve been doing for a long time. Thanks for reminding us, Zac!
      Irwin recently posted..5 Creativity Tips for Writers, BloggersMy Profile

• Posted by Anil Bhogia on 4th Mar 2013

that true thing that which will be write any thing which should be analysis himself.that you are identify the your mistake. that behalf improve the your writing.
    Anil Bhogia recently posted..Human Resource Management SoftwareMy Profile

• Posted by VKool on 11th Mar 2013

It’s not a matter of time spending for a post, what matter is how well you think your writing is, a post can take u to a day to write if it’s detailed-oriented and carefully written or take literally less than 20 mins if you just want to make a quick update for your audience. I would rather spend a whole day writing something that I will be proud of later rather than write something meaningless in a few mins.
    VKool recently posted..Internet Marketing Business – Affiliate Elite Provides An Online Marketing TrainingMy Profile

• Posted by Yogesh on 18th Mar 2013

I agree with your statement “Writing a blog post is different from creating blog content” and also agree with you that breaking the work into pieces can help in writing a blog post in 20 minutes.
    Yogesh recently posted..10 Tips To Increase Adsense Revenue on your blogMy Profile