If you are setting up a blog one of the first things you need to do is choose a domain name, This is your URL (Uniform Resource Locator) which is your virtual address on the internet. Your domain name is what your loyal readers/potential customers will use to locate your blog.
Ideally, it needs to be a reasonably short, memorable name and you can be as creative as you like, Bear in mind, however, that a straightforward domain name such as www.monetizeblogging.com not only gives a clue to what the site is about (Monetization Tips), but is also useful in terms of search engine placement and optimization.
Domain names can be bought quite cheaply these days and have a variety of extensions such as .com, co.uk, biz and .tv are also available and other varieties are likely to come online in time. If possible, try to purchase the domain name with the .com extension and/or your country extensions (co.uk/co.fr/co.za, etc).
Tips for choosing a domain name -
Consider the following:
1. Have several domain name choices in mind. Your first one might not be available.
2. If possible, use a key word that relates to your product or service in the domain name.
3. Choose catchy, memorable name where possible.
4. Make sure the domain name is easy to spell.
5. Check the sleeping of your domain name before you make your purchase. Once you’ve pressed the purchase button, you can’t make any corrections.
6. Remember to renew your domain name on time annually to maintain ownership.
When choosing the domain name, remember the acronym RAIL:
1. R- recall. How easy is to recall the name?
2. A-aesthetics. How does the name look? Does it look good on business cards and company literature?
3. I-impressions. First impressions are crucial. Does the name sound good?
4. L-length. Domain names are limited to the 26 letters of the English alphabet, ten numerals and hyphen – 37 characters in all. When picking a name, less is more. A short name is preferable to a long one.