Are You Willing to Pay $1 for Sending Messages on Facebook?

Posted by on 22nd Dec 2012 | 4 comments

With no offence meant towards Facebook or its shareholders, this is by far the most desperate attempt in recent Internet history to monetize a service-based website.

One can understand the idea of “sponsored posts” on Facebook but come on, why would anyone pay $1 to send a message on Facebook to non-friends?

What Facebook Says?

Here is a snippet from the statement published on their website says:

“Several commentators and researchers have noted that imposing a financial cost on the sender may be the most effective way to discourage unwanted messages and facilitate delivery of messages that are relevant and useful.

For example, if you want to send a message to someone you heard speak at an event but are not friends with, or if you want to message someone about a job opportunity, you can use this feature to reach their inbox. For the receiver, this test allows them to hear from people who have an important message to send them.”

Okay, point noted!

Here is the decoded simplistic version –

Instead of messages landing from non-friends on the “other” section of Facebook messages, the message will land right in your Inbox. Facebook wants the sender to pay $1 for this service. Really?

Why the $1 Concept Won’t Work?

The $1 concept won’t work because:

• Hello?! I can “friend” the “non-friend” Facebook person and avoid spending $1. Or, are they  in the process of debarring Facebook friendship requests as well?
  • If people can bother to check ‘Inbox’, they can check the ‘Other’ section too. A complete no-brainer.
  • Someone will only bother to pay $1 to reach out an important personality. Do you think anyone will pay $1 so that you or me can read their message? Moreover, do you think that spending $1 guarantees that the important personality WILL read your message? I don’t think so!

What Happens Now?

Facebook will be testing this out in the next few days with a small number of Facebook users located within US. Whether they will implement this globally depends on their trial project.

What do you think?

WILL YOU PAY FOR THIS SERVICE?

Share with us through comments.

Chitraparna Sinha is a web content developer, professional blogger, social media enthusiast, and contributor on various social media blogs. She is the founder of SocialVani, a resource to build blogs and businesses.

• Posted by Dennis Marshall on 23rd Dec 2012

I most definitely would not. Having users pay to send messages is th dumbest idea I’ve ever heard. I feel this is showing their thirst an desperation to earn a quick buck.
    Dennis Marshall recently posted..iBlog4Dollars Needs Guest Bloggers! Are You Ready For This…My Profile

• Posted by devinder on 24th Dec 2012

Since the launch of Facebook IPO, the company has been trying very hard to monetize and th recent 1 USD concept, I am afraid this will backfire rather than increasing their revenue.
    devinder recently posted..Modern Combat 4 Zero Hour- A Must Have Action Packed FPS Game on DROIDMy Profile

• Posted by Sean R. Nicholson on 31st Dec 2012

I won’t, but at least Facebook is looking for ways to monetize the site other than ads. The overpopulation of ads is getting tiresome and driving users away. While I don’t think the $1 per message will work, I think there are alternative strategies (like charging for business profiles) that might have a better impact.

Right now, they’re just trying to appease their shareholders and make any dollar they can.

Cheers!

–Sean
    Sean R. Nicholson recently posted..Updated Facebook Tip: Organizing, Moving and Editing Your Photos And AlbumsMy Profile

• Posted by Sarah on 31st Dec 2012

Holy crap, Facebook! I would definitely not pay to use this and I think it’s ridiculous. The chances of finding someone on another social media site (or email or their own site even) is too good to try and make us pay to send a single message through Facebook. Sheesh.
    Sarah recently posted..Learn To Ignore Criticism And Love Yourself As You Are. Be You.My Profile