Just as money makes the world go round, traffic makes the internet go round. Without it, there will be no readers, no exposure, no sales and most importantly, no money. Traffic is the currency of the internet and without it; your website would just be another piece of html code occupying server space.
When it comes to building an online presence, traffic should be your most important factor because many internet-related things depend on it. Websites are rated and bought depending on the amount of traffic they generate. And when this happens, respect always follows.
There are various methods to generate traffic to a new website but the following six ways should put you on the right track.
1. Social Media Traffic
Continually make new friends, share your messages with internal links and watch your traffic grow exponentially. Well, social media traffic doesn’t work that way. Each social media/networking site has a reputation building method that’s in some ways different from the other. For example, on Facebook, there are a few things you should consider;
- The Kind of Friends You Have: You can’t make serious and corporate status updates and expect witty friends to click through to your site. If you realize that your Facebook friends would be really interested in what your site has to offer, then lure them there with witty status updates related to what they are clicking through to. The same applies to your twitter followers.
- Public or Private Updates: Facebook’s “add to list” feature allows you to separate your friends into different lists. With this feature, you can make witty updates visible to your list of witty friends and the corporate updates to only those on your professional list. It is this same circle feature that gives Google Plus an edge over some other social networking sites.
There are other methods of generating Facebook and social media traffic but this should get you started.
2. Content Marketing
The recent Google updates raise a big question of whether content marketing is still an effective source of traffic. Well, one thing is certain- they still give you backlinks and the more valuable content you have to your name, the more you are perceived as an expert in your field.
But content marketing has taken a new turn. Articles can now become videos by using video creation software and tap from the traffic of video sharing sites like YouTube. YouTube is an untapped source of traffic because video creation is not something that everyone is savvy at. Just ensure that you insert your website URL into your YouTube homepage and video description. Displaying it in the video would also help.
3. Effective PPC Campaigns
In this method, you have to use money to make money. By advertising, it means you have to effectively tell your potential customer about your product in very few words. These words must be luring enough to make them click through to your website. One of the most effective of such advertising schemes present is Google Adwords.
But using Google Adwords doesn’t guarantee you effective traffic to your website. A poor ad would not attract any clicks. So what do you do?
- Laser Target Your Traffic: Research and find out about the kind of keywords your potential customers use in search engines and bid for such words. This way, only related sites and search results will have your ad on them.
- Link to Your Squeeze Page: The best place to take new customers is your squeeze page and not just your website’s homepage. A squeeze page usually offers the visitor something related to what they are looking for. No one wants to know who you are or what our company is about. All they care about is, “what’s in it for me?” So give them something in the form of an opt-in list or a free ready-to-use material.
4. Get Inbound Links
These are simply links back to your website form another site. The more inbound links you have to your site, the higher you rank in search engine results. This in turn gives you more traffic. The higher the rank of the sites linking to you, the faster you move up search engines.
So what kind of inbound links should you create? You can get links from related directories, social bookmarking sites, blogs, social media, RSS feed syndication sites, as well as internal linking on your own website.
5. Offer Newsletters
Newsletters often work well when you have a blog. This is because for every new blog post you make, you can introduce your subscribers to it in your email and include the link back to your blog.
The content of your newsletter must spark the interest of your readers and be beneficial to them. Keep you emails short enough for them to just skim through and get your point. Show that you care by being easily accessible. Using noreply emails is not the best. You could also join forces with non-competing business email promotions.
6. Join Forums and Online Communities
Forums work just like social networking sites where reputation counts. The only requirements for traffic from forums are time and dedication. Participate only in forums and communities in your niche and this way, you may discover the authority figures in your niche. Most forums allow signatures, so include your website in that signature and make it luring enough for a click through.
Make few informative posts daily so they can see how knowledgeable you are. As your reputation builds up here, you also give members a reason to click through to your site. This is because you have gained their trust.
It is possible to easily generate traffic to your website but the way you implement it determines how effective it will be. Traffic is only effective when it gives you readers, sales or exposure. Just make sure that what you have to offer is quality.
This post was written by Sam, he is a blogger and webmaster that helps people learn how to build a site.