The majority of us already know what WordPress is, but when you put everything into a visual perspective you can appreciate the numbers behind the world’s favorite blogging software. Let’s take a look at some of the numbers behind WordPress and the more than 70 million web sites and blogs that are currently running of it’s content management solutions.
When it comes to using WordPress, there are two solutions. You can host your blog pages through WordPress.com or download and install the software on your own server. The WordPress.com web site is currently hosting around half of the 72 million WordPress driven blogs out there. The following questions and answers are all from WordPress.com and the numbers are quite mind blowing!
How many posts are published on WordPress.com?
- WordPress.com users produce about 500,000 new posts and 400,000 new comments on an average day.
How many people read blogs on WordPress.com?
- Over 361 million people view more than 2.5 billion pages each month.
Who publishes on WordPress.com?
- From TechCrunch to TED, CNN, and the National Football League, WordPress.com users span a broad range. You can visit the WordPress site to see many more web sites that are running off the WordPress platform and are considered right partners with the WordPress brand.
Where in the world is WordPress.com used?
- We host WordPress blogs written in over 120 languages. Below is a break down of the top 10 languages:
- English 66%
- Spanish 8.7%
- Portuguese 6.5%
- Indonesian 3.5%
- Italian 2%
- German 1.8%
- French 1.4%
- Russian 1.1%
- Vietnamese 1.1%
- Swedish 1.0%
A Visual Look into the World of WordPress
In addition to all of the great information provided above from WordPress.com, there are also plenty of WordPress infographics out there as well. The one below has some great information and was first released in January 2011… so you can expect all of the numbers are currently much higher. Some of the updates stats and key points are mentioned below.
- As of March 15th, 2012 there are currently 72,034,336 running off the WordPress platform.
- What is WordPress? We all know that WordPress is the software we use to run our web sites and blogs, but if someone asked for a real definition, the answer would be; “WordPress is a free and open source blogging tool and content management system (CMS) powered by PHP and MySQL.”
- The most popular WordPress Plugins are All in One SEO Pack, Google XML Sitemaps and Contact Form 7. Are these plugins currently installed on your blog?
- 22% of all new web sites are being powered by WordPress