How to “Up” Your Productivity as a Blogger

Posted by on 29th Feb 2012 | 5 comments
productivity for bloggers

As bloggers, one thing we constantly struggle with is productivity. We just can’t seem to get enough of it.

Sometimes, we become so productive and energetic that we think we’ve found the “golden secret” only to realize a few days later that we can hardly do anything. In this article I will be giving you tips on how to increase your productivity as a blogger; most of the tips in this article are aimed at bloggers but they are also applicable to anyone who uses the internet to perform one task or the other.

Know When it is Time to Stop

I have spent as much as 12 hours writing in a single day, and I have days when I write as much as 20 500+ words articles. These days are usually super-productive for me and something I invest a lot of effort into making possible; the problem with this is that after achieving this kind of productivity I often find myself unwilling to work the next few days. It’s becoming so frequent now that I have noticed a pattern.

What this has made me realize is that it is better to do little today so you can do little tomorrow, instead of doing a lot today and not being able to do anything for the rest of the week.

Of course, you need to invest time and effort into marketing your blog and making yourself the best, but you also need to know when it is time to stop. There’s no point in building momentum when you can’t keep it up. Monitor yourself, see what the best you can do without hurting tomorrow is and keep doing your best while creating opportunity for the future.

Know What Gets You “Into the Zone”

Have you ever seen an athlete perform a once in a lifetime skill? Have you ever done something really big you’re still yet to understand how you did it? Well, situations like that are called entering into the zone.

The good news is that “the zone” can often be controlled. You can master the zone, notice what brought you into it and try to replicate it. In other words, what happened exactly before, during and after you performed that once in a lifestyle activity? Try to understand what this is and the reason behind it and start working hard to constantly replicate the experience.

For example, personally, I have noticed I can write beyond my expectation when listening to good music. In order to create an environment that is friendly when I’m working I now have a home theater system in my office. In other words, I have music playing in the background when I’m working and I can loud it as much as I want.

Knowing what gets you into the zone might be the key to getting things done or getting nothing done, master it!

What Gets You Really Productive?

What is your productivity secret as a blogger? Kindly share your experience in the comments below!

Image Credit

Onibalusi Bamidele is a young blogger and freelance writer. He teaches people how to write for traffic and money on his blog. Follow him on twitter - @youngprepro.

• Posted by Trevor on 29th Feb 2012

Onibalusi, I agree with what you said here about productivity. Not only do we have to spread out our efforts to avoid burning out over a short period, we also have to prioritize what we should be focusing on.

Writing needs to be every blogger’s number one focus. If our writing develops enough, we can then enlist other talented people to assist us with secondary activities like web design and promotion. Thanks for the great advice!

• Posted by Rosemary Jayne on 29th Feb 2012

My productivity secret is a mixture of getting things done (David Allen’s system) and the Pomodoro technique. This way I know what I have to do and what it’s working towards, what is the most important, and I get to play “beat the timer” and have plenty of breaks while I work – it sounds complicated but is surprisingly simple and effective!

• Posted by Ben Norman on 3rd Mar 2012

I love attempting to increase my productivity, even a small increase in what you get done during a day reaps huge rewards over a long period of time (for example 5 minutes a day over a 40 years working life equates to 152 working days, not a small amount of time in anyone’s book!).

Discovering what makes you most productive however is no easy task. Just before I handed in my university thesis I worked 18 hour days solidly for a week, I’ve never been so efficient. Normally I don’t have a deadline like that to help me (though I do try and set my own ones), I do wish there was a way to tap into that mindset at will!

The most effective thing that I’ve started to do is get up at 6 in the morning (ouch I know!). for whatever reason I’m really productive at that time, add to that a lack of distractions and I’ve found it’s a really good routine that helps me to get more done.

• Posted by Ben Norman on 3rd Mar 2012

P.S Speaking of being productive your comment form breaks the press tab to change field short cut and throws me back to the top of the page! Quite infuriating!

• Posted by Sadie on 5th Mar 2012

I somehow randomly get “in the zone” when I’m reading things. It’s not something I try to do, it just happens and then I’m all OMG I HAVE TO WRITE… :)

On a side note, I’ve been meaning to mention when I type my name, then press tab to type my email (to comment), it takes me up to another form. Kind of annoying.