Nailing Down Your Niche

Posted by on 7th Feb 2012 | 7 comments

You’ve heard it a thousand times; you need a niche. Maybe you’ve tried several with some success but not the success you want. Or maybe you try one and it really doesn’t fit, so you try another, and then another. It seems like it’s a never-ending quest to find what you’re good at and can make money doing.

I’ve been there. I’m a writer. I “thought” my niche should be writing. The thing is, I’m not passionate about writing about writing. I love to write, I just don’t want to talk about it all day. I also love Internet Marketing, and while it’s not my true passionate niche, I do have a newsletter called, “The Write Marketing.” It goes out once a month, which is manageable, and covers topics on writing and marketing. However, it’s not my “have to do this” niche. It’s more of a side niche to break the monotony of daily writing.

It’s literally been years since I started searching for that “perfect” niche that fits me. I ran a health and fitness blog for a few years, and while I enjoyed that, it wasn’t my passion.

I’ve finally decided what it is that I’m supposed to do and I’ve started working on that area. I’m not ready to announce the website yet, but it’s in personal development. If you’d like to know when it’s launched you can sign up for the newsletter I mentioned above.

How did I decide this? Not long ago I decided I needed some training. I was floundering around in the marketing world, buying products and still not getting anywhere. I discovered a membership site called, “Nicheology.” I’ve really enjoyed it. There’s a ton of how-to videos inside and real, no-bones-about-it advice—solid advice. The main theme for Paul Evans (the owner) is to keep things simple and understandable.

I went through the video series on, “Find Your Niche,” and that’s when it hit me that I need to do what I do best–inspire and motivate. It was under my nose all along. Imagine that.

If you feel lost and can’t find your niche or just need some instruction on marketing, setting up blogs, profit systems, there’s a plethora of information inside Nicheology. You get tons of training and even monthly products that you can use in your business. All for less than $30 per month.

Stop chasing your tail and make a wise investment in your business and your future.

image credit: canalecomm.com

Patti runs several websites covering PLR/Niche Content, and strives to help others through life coaching and personal development.

• Posted by Caribbean Medical School on 8th Feb 2012

Great article! I love the way you’ve taken a subject that, at first glance, might be cause for chagrin and turned it into *your* specialty :~)

• Posted by Alex Malovich on 8th Feb 2012

Exactly! I am also now looking for my niche. For me the best example of a niche is the BodyRock website. The girl with a bad English but with a nice workout strategy became very popular. She is not perect but you admire her videos!

• Posted by Andy on 8th Feb 2012

Good luck with your new niche project then! Mine fits me well, so I know how rewarding and profitable it can be!

• Posted by Web Design Oxford on 9th Feb 2012

Thanks for this…really nice that someone acknowledges some basic marketing principles. I say this all the time to clients ‘narrow your focus, strengthen your brand’. Finding your niche (one that you like) is more important than you think…but the more that niche is narrow…the better off you will be.

• Posted by Wayne Amos on 9th Feb 2012

First of all your niche is, what you can do well and feel passion about. These two conditions are primary tips everyone should pay attention to, but professional consultation is the second step to make to find the niche.

• Posted by Sanjay Nair on 11th Feb 2012

Hello Patti,

Nice post. The Niche is so confusing isnt it? I am a writer and I write a lot of product reviews for affiliate marketers. When one of my clients did a forex robot review, I thought that forex was the right niche for me. A year later, I realized that it wasnt.

I have tried 3 to 4 different niches since then and not been able to stick to one of them.

I am trying health now. Weight loss and Acne. I hope to succeed in this one.

• Posted by Bill - WebOutsource on 16th Feb 2012

One question: how do you know if your niche is big enough to justify the effort?