Grammarly – Your Personal Online Editor and Grammar Correction Tool

Posted by on 8th Sep 2011 | 16 comments

As a writer, you’re constantly being watched and judged by the content that you write. Even though no one is perfect, small mistakes in your writing can often cause an uproar among your readers. That’s why it’s really important to have a second set of eyes or an automatic tool like Grammarly to help you out.

Grammarly is a web-based editor that describes itself as the “world’s most accurate grammar checker.” It automatically proofreads as you type and checks your spelling, grammar, style, and punctuation on the fly. It can also check for plagiarism and automatically generate references/citations.

Grammarly vs Other Products

While you can use the service without signing up, creating a login allows you to do more advanced things like:

• View detailed error descriptions
  • See citation suggestions (in the event of plagiarism)
  • Enhance your vocabulary with built in tools
  • Integrate with Microsoft Office

There is a 7-day free trial so that you can test out the advanced features. After that the subscription price is: $19.95/month, $39.95/quarter, or $95.45/year. You will need to enter your credit card information for the trial, but you can cancel before the trial is up so that you will not be charged.

Without a subscription, all you really get to do is use of the editor and view a basic error report. You can either paste your text into the online editor or type directly into it. If the content is too short, Grammarly will ask you add more text; so make sure you have at least one full paragraph of text.

When you hover your mouse over the “Start Review” button, you can enable/disable other options or simply click on the button to start checking for errors.

Editor View

Once checked you’ll get a brief report of your errors along with a score. Grammarly will let you know whether your content needs revision or not.

Grammarly Report

As mentioned above, Grammarly won’t tell you how to actually fix your errors, you’ll need a subscription for that, but you’ll get a good idea of how weak or strong your content is. Best of all, there are downloads needed. You can use Grammarly from any browser and it scans through your content rather quickly.

A few alternatives to Grammarly that you may find useful are:

In comparison to the other options out there, do you think Grammarly stands above the rest?

Charnita is a full-time freelance writer and blogger with 3+ years of experience, and also the owner of SocialWebTools.info. She's also an early adopter who loves trying out new social media tools along with Web and iOS (iPad) apps. Feel free to connect with her on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.

• Posted by Alan Tay on 8th Sep 2011

I have to agree that sometimes people will make mistake in grammar or even in spelling. English is not my primary language and i used to have problems in getting my articles approved in Ezine due to Grammar, Punctuation, Sentence Structure and etc (You know, all those grammar thing…). I tried to drop my articles to some free grammar checker on the internet but Ezine failed them too. I think for grammar checking, we can only rely on the paid one for the accuracy. Unless we can do a good proof-reading by ourselves.

• Posted by MicroSourcing on 9th Sep 2011

Great software if you’re not hiring a proofreader and editor to check your work. This would cost less in the long term and be more accurate because it’s automated.

• Posted by Tech84 on 9th Sep 2011

I agree, this is a great tool for eliminating mistakes such as your and you’re and other common errors.

• Posted by Hannah on 9th Sep 2011

It sounds like a really great idea. I think that grammar is extremely important in all writing not just online. Unfortunately if you make mistakes online they can go viral very quickly. The monthly fee seems quite high given that there are other similar products that you can get for free.

• Posted by jacque smith on 9th Sep 2011

I agree this….its a terrific Blog to all….

• Posted by blognablog on 9th Sep 2011

good article, keep it up

• Posted by chirag patel on 9th Sep 2011

It look like a really goof idea.Grammar is most important in all writing.:D

• Posted by Raza on 9th Sep 2011

nice post and i will also use this software for sure

• Posted by yodz on 9th Sep 2011

English is not my natural language but I write blog in English so I guess tools like this is what I need.

• Posted by Jarkko on 10th Sep 2011

I use this a lot and I’m very happy with it. I have also the Whitesmoke application but prefer Grammarly more. Great tool for non-english people.

• Posted by ktü itiraf on 10th Sep 2011

i love it, I’m very happy with it

• Posted by James Curtley on 12th Sep 2011

It is good to know that there are tools which help us to combat the Gramatical mistake that happen while we write content. Nice post all in all and will benefit a lot of people.

• Posted by Mayweather vs Ortiz Live Stream on 14th Sep 2011

me too, i love it and i happy on it. thanks

• Posted by miroslav on 17th Sep 2011

nice post and i will also use this software for sure

• Posted by Katie on 17th Sep 2011

Most of the time I feel pretty confident in my writing, but it would be nice to double check my work. I fear plagiarism more than grammar, so I’ll continue to look on this site to locate any information pertaining to that; however, I’m definitely going to check out some of the sites you listed. I’ve used Grammarly before, but I’ve never paid. I just don’t know if it’s really worth it.

• Posted by Donaire vs Narvaez on 21st Sep 2011

thanks. how much is the cost of your tool?