Official Google Blogs and Blogger are full of Validation Errors

Posted by on 21st Mar 2010 | 12 comments

Google and Blogger do not seem very inclined in following web standards. The official Google blogs have hundreds of validation errors (see snapshot below) which is because the Blogger template produces invalid XHTML (also read this discussion on the Blogger help group dated 2006).

Those of us who are still with Blogger or plan to shift to Blogger(or Blogspot) will find the following snapshots enlightening and amusing. The first snapshot is of the Official Google blog (439 errors, 171 warnings) and the second one is of the Gmail blog (464 errors, 214 warnings) analyses from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Markup Validation Service. Read the help page on the said site if you are wondering about markup validation and would like to know more. All snapshots are dated 12 February 2010.

Let’s try WordPress.com now (with the default doctype). See the result below (though with XHTML 1.0 strict doctype it gave 14 errors and 1 warning).

Thanks to Richard for the hat tip.

• Posted by Fazreen on 21st Mar 2010

Thanks Vikas for pointing out the errors. It seems Google don't take seriously in building a good free blog platform with good coding.

by the way, wordpress is rock!

• Posted by NPXP on 26th Mar 2010

Well it might not be that they are not serious enough. But it could only mean that there is not much weightage to the age old web standards. What say?

• Posted by Adrienne on 21st Mar 2010

I noticed that the few times I checked my blog. It had over 400 errors. I didn't bother trying to fix it.

• Posted by Robyn from Sam' on 21st Mar 2010

I have actually done this test on a lot of major web sites. You would be surprised the amount of errors that are found. Some of these guys are supposed to be setting the standard. Its kinda ironic though.

• Posted by Wedding Photographer on 21st Mar 2010

Great article, just checked a couple of my sites with the tools you listed and I definitely have some work to do on them!

• Posted by gadget on 22nd Mar 2010

:roll: wow nice investigation. google officer also human with many errors…

• Posted by pablo on 22nd Mar 2010

Hahah i still wonder why all of these superseos offer you website validation as a service charging for it some thousands, great article!

• Posted by Lowell on 22nd Mar 2010

I am not surprised. I left blogger months ago… mostly because of lack of functionality. But I also don't like how their spiders mark business blogs as Spam blogs and take them offline. When you enter in the captcha to prove you are human, it takes them days to review it. We live by Google, we die by them… which is why I was happy to leave. For all that Google has done well, they failed big time with Blogger!

• Posted by discount mbt shoes on 24th Mar 2010

You are so cool. How can we to fix the errors ?

• Posted by silicone wristbands on 25th Mar 2010

The errors caught or explained by you were really absolutely correct……? but by question is can u help me out in fixing up my errors…if possible?????

• Posted by Deepak on 2nd May 2011

it means that blogger user needs to shift wordpress for better seo…
    My recent post Photoshop Designers Pack 4000 Brushes 1500 Styles

• Posted by wine bag on 16th Jun 2011

The indiscriminate cosmetic wrapping courtesy is inundated with so many wrapping options which it is easy to have the wrong choice.