Preview of New BloggingTips Themes – Feedback Wanted

Posted by on 2nd Nov 2009 | 18 comments

BloggingTips Themes PreviewIt’s been a long time we have released any WordPress themes through BloggingTips so I pleased to announce that I have two themes in development for you all.

One theme will be a premium theme and will probably be released for a reasonable price though the second one will be free for all Newsletter subscribers. Both themes are being designed by our friends at Blog Design Studio.

They should hopefully be ready for release within the next week or so. I haven’t named the themes as yet but I thought I would give you all a preview and ask you all for some feedback.

* Note, you can click on any of the preview images in this article to see a slightly larger preview.

Personal Blog Theme

The first design I want to show you is our BloggingTips first premium theme. The theme was designed for specifically for personal blogs though I’m sure it can be modified to suit any website you have in mind.

The sidebar features an area for your picture and a section to give people a brief introduction about yourself. The details can be entered from the themes admin area.

Below that is a social media area, categories, latest posts, latest comments and a blogroll. The theme will be widget ready so it will be easy to change what information you put there.

Personal Blog Theme

The home page shows large excerpts of the latest two articles. Below that is a link to the next 5 latest articles.

The theme will be available in a variety of colours, all of which can be selected through the themes admin area. Blog Design Studio is designing a blue design (shown above), a red design and a black and white one. I am also going to add some more colour options for you all. If you are interested in the theme and have a preference please let me know in the comments area and I will try and add it.

The price of the theme will be affordable though at launch I plan on offering the theme for $9.95 to Newsletter subscribers for 7 days only. So make sure you are subscribed to take advantage of this offer as it won’t be mentioned on the blog again :)

* Note, although this theme isn’t being released through our theme store BlogThemesClub, existing club members will be able to download it for free if they want.

Free WordPress Theme

The second theme I want to show you guys is a work in progress. The coding hasn’t been started yet and the final design may change too. Please bear this in mind with viewing the previews below as there are alignment issues in the screenshot (these will obviously be corrected before release).

Like the previous theme, this design will be widget ready. The name and description of the blog are automatically placed at the top of the blog however this can easily be replaced by an image.

Here is a preview of the home page:

Free WordPress Theme

The one thing I am not too sure about is the featured article area at the top. Do you think it would be better if only one article was previewed or do you think it would be better if the featured article area was dropped altogether?

This second screenshot shows the post itself.

Free WordPress Theme

As you can see from the above image, the featured posts, resources and meta information are displayed directly below the comments rather than being embedded at the bottom of the theme itself.

It’s a good clean theme and will be very easy to modify so I’m sure many of you will find it useful. It’s the kind of colour scheme which tech blogs use a lot though I have no doubt that it will be used in a variety of different niches.

Feedback Wanted

I’d love to hear yours thoughts on the themes mentioned above. I will be releasing more free and premium WordPress themes through BloggingTips in the future. Your suggestions will influence what gets designed so please, make your opinions heard :)

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Muldoon is a professional blogger with a love of travel. He writes regularly about topics such as WordPress, Blogging, Productivity and Social Media on his personal blog and provides support to bloggers at Rise Forums. He can also be found on Twitter @KevinMuldoon and .

• Posted by Kevin Muldoon on 2nd Nov 2009

Glad you like it James. I know that I could charge a little more for it but I want to make sure the theme is still affordable for most people. If sales are good, I will be able to get many more themes developed for you guys :)

• Posted by David Walker on 2nd Nov 2009

Hi Kevin, great work! (Yes, I'm subscribed, but with a different email address)

I like the Personal Blog Theme too. The blue's cool but I'm more into black. I see you have that too. I also prefer to have the featured article area, since I use that on my blog and I find it's neater and gives greater choice to the readers.

• Posted by James Fisher on 2nd Nov 2009

I am thinking about changing up my blog's theme, so I will definitely be looking at this new one. The free ones look good too, I should have added. As for the Personal Blog theme, would it have an option to switch the sidebar left-to-right? What is the current thinking on sidebar placement these days?

• Posted by Kevin Muldoon on 2nd Nov 2009

David – thanks. Do you think the featured area should just have one article or list 5 like it does just now?

James – Yes it will be easy to switch the sidebar. I'm going to add more colours to the theme for release but I will also release a version with the sidebar on the right hand side. I'll speak to the coders about this, I actually be able to make this an option in the admin area :)

• Posted by James Fisher on 2nd Nov 2009

Now that would be a great built-in feature to have, Kevin!

• Posted by James Fisher on 2nd Nov 2009

I really like the Personal Blog theme, and would be willing to pay a reasonable price for it.

• Posted by Indrek on 3rd Nov 2009

The first one is very good. I especially like the background – it just pops out. A bit too blue for my taste.

The second one is also nice. I don't quite like the search box – a bit too dominant. Maybe use a simple border instead?!

And maybe the sidebar could be a little transparent?! I think it would look pretty good. But not too much so it would be hard to read.

But overall good job Kevin!

• Posted by Kevin Muldoon on 3rd Nov 2009

Yeah perhaps the search box would be better moved to the top where the nav links are. It could be placed at the top right and blended into the dark background.

Not sure how making the sidebar transparent would look. Do you think the sidebar colour should be a little lighter?

• Posted by Indrek on 4th Nov 2009

Maybe slightly lighter yes. It would make reading a bit easier.

• Posted by Elina on 4th Nov 2009

Is it possible to add a second sidebar, i.e. two sidebars for the premium theme and make this option available via admin? I'm more into black colour rather than blue, so I'm hoping to see a black version of this theme. Overall, great try Kevin. The free one is great too.

• Posted by Fauzul on 4th Nov 2009

Hi, nice wp themes especially the black one. Looking forward to when the themes are ready. I really like the red color for the titles in the black theme, it really stands out and make the posts a lot more interesting.

• Posted by Kathy on 4th Nov 2009

Hi Kevin, just want to clear something up. At the beginning of your blog you comment that the personal blog will be free to newsletter subscribers and then later it states that it will be $9.95 for newsletter subscribers for the next seven days.

Ummm…so if I wait for seven days will I get it for free? :)

• Posted by Cheryl Walters on 4th Nov 2009

Hi Kevin,

These themes are very nice, and I agree with the editing suggestions from the nice folks above my comment. The only concern I have is that if a lot of people purchase the same few templates, there will be a lot of blogs on a variety of topics using the same template design.

That said, I think your generosity and the creativity of the BlogThemesClub team will be very appreciated.

• Posted by Brigitte on 4th Nov 2009

Hi Kevin,

I really like the design of the personal blog theme. I use a static page on my blog, would this theme allow static page? I also tend to like two sidebars. Being able to change the picture on the right would be great so it can be personalized.

• Posted by Kevin Muldoon on 4th Nov 2009

Hi guys,

The premium theme is going to be available in a variety of colours. It will be also be easy to customise which will reduce the chances of the theme looking like anyone elses.

Kathy – To clarify, the black theme (called principle in the screenshot) is going to be available for free. The personal theme is a premium theme though newsletter subscribers will be offered a special discount upon release.

Brigitte – The design has been developed since the start with just one sidebar. It shouldn't be too difficult to add a second sidebar though manually by editing the templates though I will look into the possibility of doing this via the admin area.

• Posted by Andrew on 5th Nov 2009

I like the "Free WordPress Theme" could you "translate it" to Blogger????

• Posted by Georjina on 6th Nov 2009

I really like that 'free WordPress Theme', but can the 'search' block be deleted without messing it up? And how easy will it be to edit the style sheet:) I'd make that sidebar a bit lighter, because text on it is hard to read.

• Posted by Jeff on 7th Nov 2009

Thanks for designing templates for us! It is very much appreciated!

I think both templates look great. Good job, and again, thank you!