Woopra – Affordable Real Time Web Analytics

Posted by on 13th Oct 2009 | 12 comments

woopraWoopra, yet another a hosted analytics service, today announced that they are opening their doors for new signups. Until today, you needed a sought after invite code to test out this new service.  Woopra is similar to Google Analytics but provides real time stats and a number of additional features such as the ability to chat real time with visitors to the site. A number of these features are ideal for small to small to medium size blogs.

Woopra is split into two services, a desktop client program and the traditional for web analytics, web server application. Woopra radically decreases the load on network resources by using the power of your desktop to process and  display graphic charts, graphics, and analysis.

Live Chat

The features that I am most interested in are the proactive and reactive chat functionality. You will be able to remotely start chat sessions with visitors, or embed “Click-to-Chat” buttons within a site to accept inbound requests.  This feature will allow webmasters and bloggers to literally break down the virtual wall between visitor and webmaster – for no cost.  There is no installation of software by the visitor.   For bloggers who want to learn more about their visitors and perhaps even be extend their customer service offerings, Woopra will be a great addition to the site.

Real Time

Woopra is bringing live, real-time analytical and site statistical data to the webmaster. Most other free web analytics programs like Google Analytics are updated only once a day. Real time analytics have long been available with expensive Omniture and WebTrends solutions, but Woopra is reducing the wait time for the “little” guys.  Webmasters can track over 40 different statistical events and analytics.

woopra-1

Manage Multiple Blogs

Woopra provides nice integration of for multiple blogs and websites. Through the quick site tabs at the top of the Woopra panel, you have one-click access to your registered blogs and websites.  Even the high end web analytics don’t provide this type of ease for multiple site management.

The Price

So, you were wondering what the catch was?  Well, it’s not a free product so don’t expect to see a mass exodus from Google Analytics.  However, if you have a desire to get better reporting tools, faster data, chat and more, than Woopra is reasonably priced when you consider some of these features sell for thousands of dollars from Omniture and WebTrends.

woopra-2

The basic or free account requires an invitation and I expect those invitations will remain heavily sought after!

David Silversmith is an Internet and Web analytics consultant with more than 20 years' experience managing both technology and customer service for information businesses. He is the former CTO at Carfax.com where he spent 12 years implementing and managing IT strategy. While there, he led the adoption of hosted Web analytics and implemented some of the earliest A/B testing applications to optimize visitor traffic. Silversmith also spent seven years at Nielson Claritas, a leading supplier of demographic information, establishing its technical support and training departments. He's also managed call centers supporting products such as Canon printers, and the Sony Magic Link - one of the first hand held PDAs.

• Posted by Klaus on 13th Oct 2009

Ohh I was gonna blog about Woopra today or tomorrow too :) I haven't read your this post cause I don't want to risk sounding like a "copy cat" which I can claim is not the case if I wait to read your blog till after I've published mine :)

Bottom line – Woopra is great, been using it pretty much since it was first mentioned on GeekBrief.tv

• Posted by Blogging Tips on 13th Oct 2009

Great article but is this better than google analytics

• Posted by David Silversmith on 13th Oct 2009

I am never one to say that product A is better than product B, because a key factor is your specific needs. I think that Woopra is better because of the real time data, because of the chat option, because of the more robust reporting (though some of that is in the "coming soon" category).

Now, if none of those factors are important to your business – than you have to think hard about switching from Google Analytics and the cost of Woopra.

Both Google Analytics and Woopra are solid choices – which is better depends on each customer's specific needs.

• Posted by Lorelle on 13th Oct 2009

Thank you for the kind words. This is just the tip of the iceberg of our features. We have a ton of new features and improvements on this latest batch of features coming soon, including Custom Reports. Have you tried that yet? Where other companies tell you what information you need, we're working to let you be in control of the data you need to know. It's really exciting stuff.

Thanks again!

• Posted by David Silversmith on 13th Oct 2009

Kind words are earned! Nice that you noticed this posting. I have been running this on a work blog and it is quite interesting. I found what maybe one small bug that I'll report – but this is an exciting step for web analytics! I was enterprise user #5 of WebSideStory – the first commercial javascript based web analytics programs so I have seen my share of changes in this space!

• Posted by K. Praslowicz on 13th Oct 2009

You state that Google Analytics only updates once a day. Actually, if you go to the calendar in GA, you can select the current day and get what has been recorded so far that day. There might be a delay involved, so it may not be up to the minute, but it is updated frequently enough to be useful.

• Posted by Rocky on 14th Oct 2009

That was a great tool in affordable prices!

• Posted by Billig Voks on 14th Oct 2009

Awesome tool! – Always nice to try some other applications than Google Analytics

• Posted by Dragan Mestrovic on 14th Oct 2009

Why not use Google analytics, it's free and has a lot of options!

• Posted by Voks on 20th Dec 2010

I used to use the Analytics tool, but this one seems interesting. I will give it a try and the site is bookmarked!

• Posted by Golf Udstyr Peter on 9th Apr 2011

I am still a fan of Google Analytics (well it is free so that makes me a fan :-) – but I might give this a try if it is better..

• Posted by Micky on 23rd Apr 2011

There are lots of these programs online now, but i still think that analytics is the best – not because it is free, but Google got the best ressources available to develop such a program which gives the best program in the end – and they dont have to focus on the money, just the users.