Link To Your Friends, Link To Your Enemies

Posted by on 27th Aug 2009 | 5 comments

Link To Your Friends, Link To Your EnemiesAlex Fraiser and Seth Waite from Blogussion (one of the best blogging related blogs launched within the last year) recently collated all of their best blog posts into a guide entitled ‘From Planning To Earning’. The guide covers everything from designing your blog to making money from it. I encourage you all to check it out.

Through this guide I came across an article Alex wrote in May entitled ‘5 More Experimental Writing Habits You May Want to Try‘. In the article Alex quoted a great statement from Robert Scoble and Shel Israel’s popular blogging book Naked Conversations.

“Link to your enemies. Link to your competitors. Link to everyone. Instead of being sticky, be linky”

Linking out generously is something I have discussed many times in the past. It’s something which many bloggers still do not do enough in my opinion. Perhaps they are worried about sending visitors away from their blog, perhaps they don’t want to link to ‘rival’ blogs.

If there are any benefits from not linking out, they are greatly outweighed by the benefits of linking generously.

When you link out:

• You are providing a useful resource for your visitor i.e. linking to an article they might find useful.
  • Citing relevant articles makes you more trustworthy as a blogger i.e. it’s better to link to a news story you found rather than saying ‘I heard that….’.
  • You are encouraging others to link to you – people are more inclined to link to people who have linked to them.

Being link friendly does not mean that you should link out needlessly or that you have to add several links to every post you write. You should only link out when it is relevant.

So I encourage you all to link to an article which inspired you for a post, link to a website which your visitors will find interesting and link to blogs which break an important news story.

Link to your friends, link to your enemies, link to everyone!

Kevin Muldoon is a professional blogger with a love of travel. He writes regularly about topics such as WordPress, Blogging, Productivity and Social Media on his personal blog and provides support to bloggers at Rise Forums. He can also be found on Twitter @KevinMuldoon and .

• Posted by Seth W on 27th Aug 2009

Wow… thanks for the links. Just one question… Are we friends or enemies?

I want to be your friend!

• Posted by Alex Fraiser on 27th Aug 2009

Thanks a lot for the shout out Kevin! We're glad you found and liked the guide, it was a lot of work to make and seeing posts like this really make me feel good.

I wrote about this topic a few times on my blog as well, but lately I have not been practicing it!

Again, thanks for sharing our guide with your readers. I do hope they find it useful!

• Posted by Kevin Muldoon on 27th Aug 2009

Seth – haha, no we are not enemies :) Don't think I have any (which I know of!!). I'm happy to be friends. More good things come out of positive relationships than negative ones :)

Alex – Yes I was very impressed. I tweeted about it when I came across it the other day and that article inspired this post. I assume the feedback has been good?

• Posted by shaunjudy on 29th Aug 2009

Link love and link juice a super ways to help other bloggers out and gain some creditability from your readers. Look at articles in the news paper for 100's of years. The author will always give a source of the info. If not the readers will tend to think that the article is just rubbish.

• Posted by Fort Collins Compute on 29th Aug 2009

I agree. Linking to others is what makes it a "web", right?

It's pretty conceited to think that you are the only one on the web with any original ideas in your area of expertise… or you are the only one in your field "making things happen".

When you don't link to others, it makes you look isolated… cut-off from the outside world and out of touch with the industry.