Where do you read all the latest blog articles on the web? Do you go to traditional news media outlets written by journalist, or are you more interested in user generated content from people just like yourself?
If you like to read breaking stories on major news to viral videos on personal blogs, Yahoo! Buzz is a great place to start. Instead of editors, people like you submit the stories and buzz up the best ones.
How Yahoo! Buzz works:
- First, they determine the most popular topics that people are searching for on Yahoo!
- Then, they showcase the most popular stories within those topics, based on activities like voting, commenting, and emailing stories to friends.
- Stories with most Buzz may be published on the Yahoo! home page — you can impact what millions will see on Yahoo!
Like many of the other social networking and content sites (e.g. Delicious, Digg, Propeller, Reddit, and StumbleUpon) Yahoo! Buzz allows you to vote up or down an article based on if you like it or not, but they take this concept one step further. Their rankings take three things into account.
- Trends in search queries on Yahoo! Search.
- The number of comments left on Yahoo! Buzz.
- The number of times that content is shared with friends over email from Buzz.
To start promoting your blog using Yahoo! Buzz, it’s a good idea to create a profile, create a network of friends, give back to the community by participating in Buzz activity, and leaving comments on your favorite articles. When you have a good blog post that you want to share, this network of friends will be more likely to help you Buzz your blog post if you’ve been Buzzing theirs.
How to use Yahoo! Buzz to promote your blog:
- Submit to Yahoo! Buzz: Go to Yahoo! Buzz Submit.
- Story URL: Enter your blog post URL.
- Story Headline: Make this unique and compelling so users will want to read it.
- Summary: Once again make this unique and compelling so users will want to Buzz it up for you.
- Category: There are ten broad categories here. Choose the best one that fits your blog post.
- Media Type: Here you will choose Text, Image, Audio, or Video.
Once you’ve submitted a blog post to Yahoo! Buzz you will have a chance to tell your friends about it by using the Send button and the Share button. The Send button will send the article to all your friends using your Yahoo email account. The Share button will give you options to submit your story to Delicious, Digg, Facebook, Propeller, Reddit, and StumbleUpon.
They also have several styles of buttons that you can add to your blog to make it easier for your readers to Buzz your posts on the Grab Buttons for Your Site page. Make sure to use these tools for your blog.
So, are your blog posts buzzing? Make sure to add Yahoo! Buzz to your list of places to promote your blog, and go see what’s buzzing now on Yahoo! Buzz.