How I Tripled My Twitter Followers Instantly!

Posted by on 28th Jan 2009 | 11 comments

TwitterI used to look at Twitter as just a place to promote my blog. I never realized its true worth and power. This all changed a few days days ago.  Here is how I got my bit of Twitter success:

1) Before reading Stanly Tang’s post on how he crossed 5000 followers, I was following 25 people and was being followed by 70. After reading that post I realized that I was not at all networking. I then decided to follow people who were in niches of my interest. I followed designers, bloggers, tech enthusiasts etc. The result was I was following 100 people and was being followed by 150.

This example will help me bringing my point forward:

Barrack Obama: Followed by 144k and Follows 168k

Hillary Clinton is also followed by thousands and she follows no one.

Think about it, who would you like to follow? Someone who follows many or someone who follows no one? Basically, I realized, that if I was not going to follow people, people would not follow me.

2)I also started conversations with my followers. This too made people follow me. (Asking questions and replying to questions is the best way)

3)Then, I came across Kevin Rose’s post on ReTweeting. I finally understood what ReTweeting was. And I instantly began to ReTweet tweets from my friends. In turn many people (like @CatsWhoCode) ReTweeted my tweets. This really boosted my follower count.

Easy pointers that also helped me:

• Inserting my Twitter user id in email signatures.
  • Inserting my Twitter in my forum signatures.
  • My post on using your Twitter profile as a link while blog commenting.

End Result: Following 125 people and being followed by 215. My followers had tripled!

I would like to end this post with a lovely quote:

“Facebook is about people you used to know; Twitter is about people you’d like to know better” – Ivor Tossel

Let’s be friends on Twitter – @Farrhad, I will happily follow you back !

How do you increase your followers? Feel free to share your thoughts below.

I am a 15 year old student who loves aeromodelling, watching movies and playing the guitar.I am also a voracious reader and love writing lyrics. I excel in various fields such as Blogging, Content Creation, Designing and a few more. We can be friends on Twitter.

• Posted by us on 28th Jan 2009

good blog !!!

how r u my friend

peace lover from Indonesia

good future for friendship all over the world

• Posted by SostyPasha on 29th Jan 2009

Thanx Mr. Farrhad for ur twittery advice ..

I don't twitter what I'm doing more than 2 times a day ..

and I also follow Just about 60 people :)

@ this second they will be 61

• Posted by Morten Pedersen on 29th Jan 2009

Welcome after, it is just what I did find out about twitter for a month ago. You must be active to get followers.

• Posted by Monty - WebHostingOf on 29th Jan 2009

Hey Farrhad.. I'm following you on Twitter.. (@sensonize).. It would be nice meeting you since we are from the same country and almost of the same age.. Cheers! :)

• Posted by cohnsey on 29th Jan 2009

My goal is to get to 1,000 followers but I seem to be stuck at around 650. Any suggestions on what I can do to make it to 1k?

• Posted by Farrhad A on 30th Jan 2009

Thanks for your lovely comments everyone :)

@ I agree with you

@cohnsey whats your Twitter id? I will have a look and let you know.

• Posted by Mr Javo on 31st Jan 2009

The first easy point works perfectly! I added my ID in my email signature and I duplicated my followers in a couple of weeks.

By the way, you can follow me @mrjavo :P

• Posted by Nicholas | Pixobyte. on 1st Feb 2009

Very useful tips, Has surely skyrocketed my Twitter followers too.

• Posted by Mike on 5th Feb 2009

How about leaving your twitter URL in blog comments?? :)

• Posted by gettwitterfollowers on 5th Jan 2011

Great article! Very useful to know if you want to get twitter followers. Thanks a bunch.
    My recent post Get Twitter Followers

• Posted by Adwello on 6th May 2011

To grow your Twitter following quickly you do need to follow people – a good rule of thumb is to follow the same number that follow, possibly up to 200 more. You can use a site like tweepi.com to find people you want to follow and you can also unfollow people here. Allow a few days then unfollow those not following you to keep your numbers level. Twitter disapprove of you following a much larger number than reciprocates. Keep your follow to around 150 daily and unfollow around 100 if you need to. About two thirds will follow you back if you follow a person's followers. Be careful as you approach 2000 as Twitter monitors users at that number before allowing you to progress to much higher numbers.

Consider your reasons for growing a large following. These are not numbers but actual people and businesses! Interact, click on people's site links, comment on their blogs. Get the community feel. Be helpful and polite. Keep self promotion to a minimum. You can start more than one account at a time. Just don't be greedy! Take it a day at a time and step-by-step. Tweet interesting useful links and insights. Be a personality.
    My recent post Top 5 Tips To Power Up Your Blogging Sites With Integrity Marketing