In the next few weeks or so i will be heading home to the UK after 7-8 months travelling. Currently my working routine is limited, short and very very irregular. Thankfully, when i get home i’ll be able to get back to my normal hours and get into my usual irregular routine.
This got me thinking about my daily routine at the pc. Working on the internet allows me to fit my hobbies and pastimes around my work…or rather the other way around.
A typical working day
Below is an example of what my daily routine will be like when i return home however to be honest, no two days are the same. I always make a point of spending time away from the pc so i try my best to fit things around what i have coming up, be it a holiday, night out or whatever. If im working on a design or doing a major update of one of my sites then its not uncommon for me to wake up around 10am, work til 2am, go to bed, wake up and do the same for a few days til i finish the job i started. If i do this i always try and drastically cut my hours for a few days afterwards to reward myself. Hey if you can’t be good to yourself who else will?
Ok…heres an example of my irregular daily routine!
Monday to Friday :
- 10.00 am : Get up, get showered, grab some breakfast and sit my ass down in front of the pc in my big comfy leather chair!
- 11.00 am : Load up Outlook Express and quickly check my emails to get an idea of what i need to do on that day (in addition to regular tasks)
- 12.00 pm : Head down to the gym for an hour or so
- 1.30 pm : Have a quick look at the forums i frequent and the blogs i read.
- 2.15 pm : Grab some lunch and start working on writing articles, updating sites, working on a design etc
- 4.30 pm : Take a break for perhaps half an hour or an hour and play counter strike or battlefield. Afterwards grab some dinner.
- 6.30 pm : Head out for the night. I train on Tuesday and Thursdays and on other nights im usually at a friends or whatever.
- 10.30 pm : Grab a quick snack and then start working again.
- 1.00 am : Crawl into bed – watch some tv or a movie.
- 2-3am : Back to bed.
That’s a pretty good example of my daily routine. At the weekend my routine is totally different. I usually only work for 2-3 hours on a saturday and sunday and the rest of the time i’m out the house. Even bloggers need to relax!!
During the week though i usually work 4-5 hours at night. Probably not the best thing to do when you think about it but i always get more done as i get no interuptions at night. There are a few reason’s why i can work 8+ hours a day and still enjoy a very flexible lifestyle. One reason is that i don’t commute – sounds obvious but bed to office is about 0.5 feet! Secondly, i don’t really watch any tv. I sometimes watch a dvd before heading to bed but other than that i don’t really watch much tv other than at friends. I never put a tv in my office at the start and i kinda got used to it.
Basically, when im home im on the pc and when i’m not at the pc im out. It’s a very relaxing job though – i listen to music all day and if i’ve been working for 2 hours or more and feel a bit drained i play a game or head out for a while.
Again, i stress that this is just an example of my daily routine. On days i need to get something done ive put going to the gym and going out with friends on the backburner til i get everything finished.
What’s your daily blogging routine?
I’d love to hear the the different blogging routines that bloggers have. I’m sure i’m not the only blogger with a mixed up work routine!
- Do you set yourself normal working hours?
- Do you fit your work around your lifestyle or the other way around?
- Does your blogging routine change that much day to day?